Question How to stop my dd-wrt router from blocking Android in-app file update?

Jun 27, 2023
This problem just started a few weeks ago. No changes were made to router config. Probably this started happening after an update to the app.
What is happening: the Android game launches with current configuration, then it checks for a file update list.
The file download starts, but always fails about two thirds of the way through.
I honestly didn't even imagine it could be a router problem, i was led to that by accidentally connecting device directly to the ISP WiFi instead of my router WiFi, and it all works great. WiFi is not the problem, as I have the same failure when running Android emulator on Windows PC connected via wired Ethernet.
I have been using this dd-wrt on Netgear R6300V2 for several years, and have made only a few very simple modifications to the default config in all this time - so I don't know much about advanced configuration.
Any ideas on what to look for?
Note this is only happening with one game, it is the only game i have that uses this type of in-app updating.

Very strange for a number of reasons.
First a router has no concept of if a application is running on android or mac or windows. In most cases stuff just downloads over standard web browser ports.
Next even if it were to block port that would mean it does not run at all. Once the download starts all the packets are the same so if the first ones get through then the rest would.
I don't know if dd-wrt can put data limits on stuff but you should then see the problem whenever you download a large file.

I guess it could be some very strange transfer method that only that app uses but I doubt it.

Why do you use dd-wrt. In most cases people did this for features not in the factory OS. Most modern routers have most the features people used to load dd-wrt for. It would be something where you need a actual router or maybe vpn support even though vpn support is much more common.

Unless you need dd-wrt I would try to reload the factory OS. Otherwise maybe there is some kind of error message in a log in the router.

Jun 27, 2023
I know it seems quite odd. I was wondering if the firewall subsystem may be detecting this particular type of file download pattern as an attack of some kind...

Not very likely, maybe if it uses bit torrent but generally it wouldn't even start.
It should be pretty easy to disable the firewall on the router to test it. You really don't need a firewall on a home router. All incoming attacks are blocked by the NAT function. The firewall will pretty much only filter outbound traffic.

TRENDING THREADS