[SOLVED] How to stop my GPU from downclocking?

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
Hey there geeks,

I was looking around some websites - and I found an application called 'ClockBlocker' which is stopping your GPU from downclocking.
Apparently it's 10 y/o and it's not really supported by the most modern drivers, so I'll need another alternative.
Cheers!

Solution
Most GPU's will downclock when in idle state to avoid running at higher temperatures. It is a normal process.

Under Nvidia control panel, you can change the power management to "Preferred Maximum Performance", which will keep the card running at it's higher base-clock speed.

Not sure what it is called under AMD, as I haven't messed with AMD drivers for a while.

tecmo34

Administrator
Most GPU's will downclock when in idle state to avoid running at higher temperatures. It is a normal process.

Under Nvidia control panel, you can change the power management to "Preferred Maximum Performance", which will keep the card running at it's higher base-clock speed.

Not sure what it is called under AMD, as I haven't messed with AMD drivers for a while.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Hey there geeks,

I was looking around some websites - and I found an application called 'ClockBlocker' which is stopping your GPU from downclocking.
Apparently it's 10 y/o and it's not really supported by the most modern drivers, so I'll need another alternative.
Cheers!
Was probably snake oil 10 years ago. If your gpu is down clicking it is most likely doing it as part of a self protection. You need to find the cause instead of overruling a protection.

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
What is the card? could use MSI afterburner voltage tables if its a older nvidia card or amd card.

If it's a newer nvidia card you can lock the boost with evga x1.

https://forums.evga.com/Guide-How-t...-overclock-with-msi-afterburner-m2820280.aspx

The GPU is R9 290X.

The reason behind my question is the following - this videocard gets up to 95C and it downclocks. I don't need anyone to tell me that I need to fix this issue, as it's impossible unless I spend 300$ on custom water cooling. It's been repasted already. I can't do anything about that.

I just need someone to tell me how to stop the videocard from downclocking when it reaches specific temperature. There are programs, but I am not really aware of any and google isn't helping.

InvalidError

Titan
I just need someone to tell me how to stop the videocard from downclocking when it reaches specific temperature.
So... your response to not wanting to spend money on better GPU cooling to avoid the GPU needing to down-clock to save itself from self-destruction is to turn off the only mechanism standing between you and a dead GPU which is going to cost you $400+ to replace with anything remotely decent?

IMO, if you don't want to spend $300 now, it would make more sense to underclock the GPU and lower its temperature to 85C in order to increase your chances that it will survive long enough for some pricing sanity to return to the GPU market and you will be able to get something better than a GTX1650S for $300.

Reactions: tecmo34