[SOLVED] How to stop this monitor from flickering!!!

Feb 20, 2020
So. This has been an issue for months, and our team can not figure it out. The user is reporting that their right monitor is flickering. We have replaced the monitor twice, new cord, new power strip, put the power cord on a different outlet, replaced the computer, moved the monitor slightly, swapped the monitors, updated drivers, reinstalled drivers, played changed the hertz between 59-60hz, replaced with several brand new monitors and it is still not working. No matter what it is the right monitor. After analysis, there is a microwave and refrigerator in the next room, but it is on the other side of the room. The people on the other side of the wall do not have anything that would warrant any interference. We have not seen this monitor flicker, only the user has. At this point we are at a loss. Any ideas you guys can think of to fix this?

EDIT: I did forget to mention, the computers have integrated graphics. They are computer towers with I5's in them, and 8gb of RAM.

Last edited:
Solution
That is kinda strange!

So, just to be clear, after swapping out monitors, cables, changing base PC, the flickering still exists? Something doesn't sound right.

I guess it could very well be some interference, but you'd expect something similar on the 1st monitor (I'm presuming the left one! :) ) if it's double monitor setup

The only commonality here is the user themselves. If they are standard monitors, it very well may feel to the user that they are seeing the flicker. But, given you can't replicate it, or see it yourself, then that leaves only the user as the answer. Maybe try a higher HZ monitor, maybe 75-100 and see if that helps.

Have you tried moving the user to a different desk/area to see if it persists.

Presumably when...
That is kinda strange!

So, just to be clear, after swapping out monitors, cables, changing base PC, the flickering still exists? Something doesn't sound right.

I guess it could very well be some interference, but you'd expect something similar on the 1st monitor (I'm presuming the left one! :) ) if it's double monitor setup

The only commonality here is the user themselves. If they are standard monitors, it very well may feel to the user that they are seeing the flicker. But, given you can't replicate it, or see it yourself, then that leaves only the user as the answer. Maybe try a higher HZ monitor, maybe 75-100 and see if that helps.

Presumably when you say you've replaced cables, it's both the power cables (and pwoer strip as you mentioned), plus the HDMI/DVI cable too?

Solution

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
So. This has been an issue for months, and our team can not figure it out. The user is reporting that their right monitor is flickering. We have replaced the monitor twice, new cord, new power strip, put the power cord on a different outlet, replaced the computer, moved the monitor slightly, swapped the monitors, updated drivers, reinstalled drivers, played changed the hertz between 59-60hz, replaced with several brand new monitors and it is still not working. No matter what it is the right monitor. After analysis, there is a microwave and refrigerator in the next room, but it is on the other side of the room. The people on the other side of the wall do not have anything that would warrant any interference. We have not seen this monitor flicker, only the user has. At this point we are at a loss. Any ideas you guys can think of to fix this?
Could the GPU be the issue, one of the ports not fully functioning or are they on the same cable?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
The user is reporting that their right monitor is flickering. ............ We have not seen this monitor flicker, only the user has.
Do you mean that the right-most monitor in a multi-monitor setup is flickering?
If so, and if it's only the regular user who can see the flickering, have you explored the possibility that it's the user's eyesight or viewing habits that's causing the effect?

You say you've swapped the monitors. Have you swapped the left and right monitors without swapping the connectors? The images will look wrong of course, but it will help determine if it's really the monitor, not its horizontal location relative to the user, that's causing the effect.

Feb 20, 2020
That is kinda strange!

Presumably when you say you've replaced cables, it's both the power cables (and pwoer strip as you mentioned), plus the HDMI/DVI cable too?

We unfortunately can not move this user, a higher refresh rate monitor does sound like a good idea. The left monitor has not flickered once. Even if we swap the monitors, it is always the right one no matter what.

We unfortunately can not move this user, a higher refresh rate monitor does sound like a good idea. The left monitor has not flickered once. Even if we swap the monitors, it is always the right one no matter what.

I really think this may be the users experience rather than an issue with the monitor, given the changes made to try and rectify the issue. It's almost completely random. You have literally done everything one would do if this occurred to fix it.
Could the GPU be the issue, one of the ports not fully functioning or are they on the same cable?

I thought that myself, but if they replaced the PC then that's not it. Unless the GPU was swapped between PC's, which isn't clear.

Feb 20, 2020
Do you mean that the right-most monitor in a multi-monitor setup is flickering?
If so, and if it's only the regular user who can see the flickering, have you explored the possibility that it's the user's eyesight or viewing habits that's causing the effect?

You say you've swapped the monitors. Have you swapped the left and right monitors without swapping the connectors? The images will look wrong of course, but it will help determine if it's really the monitor, not its horizontal location relative to the user, that's causing the effect.
Congratulations sir, you just made my entire department laugh. I will add this to the list of things we can try. It is a Dual Monitor setup.