How to stop WIn 10 update from re-installing bad graphics driver?

bb_aes

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
I have gotten my Windows 10 setup working and have a driver that supports my graphics chip set. However, Windows update automatically will install it's own driver, which does not work for my graphics. It always causes minimal resolution, disables the HDMI and often will cause BSOD on startup ("page fault in non-paged area" usually and sometimes "Bad pool header"). I have done everything I can find to try to block that bad driver update.
1) After the bad driver install "rollback driver" in device manager is grayed out for the video
2) So instead, in Device Manager I uninstall the bad driver and check the box to delete the file from the computer. I then install the correct driver. It works great for a half hour or so before Windows Update installs the bad driver again. Sometimes the problem occurs when I reboot, other times while I'm working.
3) I've gone into "System Properties" - "Hardware" - "Device Installation" and set it to say "no". But it still does the update, even though this setting stay's "no".
4) I have build 1607 so I cannot open "Local Group Policy Editor" who some say can block this.
5) I've gone into the registry to key "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version and made sure "Driver Searching" data value was at 0. It was but Update still installs the bad driver.
6) I downloaded "ShoworHideUpdates" and when I run this it shows all updates, except for drivers, so I can't hide (and block) driver updates there.
7) Under "Settings" - "Updates and Security" - "Windows Update" I click on "Update history". It lists this bad driver update as being installed several times but when I click on "uninstall" it only gives me the regular updates - not the repeated graphics update that crashes my system each time.

How do I get this blasted Windows 10 Update from repeatedly corrupting my system by automatically installing the same bad graphics driver over and over? I found the right one - I have it installed - WINDOWS LEAVE IT ALONE!

If you are having the same problem, I suggest you try the above steps. And if anyone knows what other steps I can do to fix this horrible feature of Windows 10, please let me know! Thank you.

1) If this is a DESKTOP then I had the same issue and did THIS:

a) DDU
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
(use the recommended safe mode and reboot), then after reboot
b) manually install latest driver.

I did that a few months ago, after which MS Updates screwed up a 2nd time right after. I did it again and it took, so not sure what's going on there.

2) LAPTOP?
For some laptops (mainly with older AMD GPU's) there may be an incompatibility with W10 drivers.

bb_aes

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
Photonboy: This is an HP dv7-4270 laptop, but the issue can occur with any computer under Windows 10. My computer is about 8 years old (I think) but is fairly fast with quad core processor and has a large display. Neither HP nor AMD supply a driver for Win 10, but DriverToolkit found the right one and I have no problem with it. Graphics is high resolution and HDMI works great. The only thing I don't have is switching graphics to the lower power one under battery - but that is okay. And I did use DDU to remove the driver in safe mode. However, Win 10 Update keeps automatically installing the bad driver.

rgd1101: Thank you for the suggestion, but yes, that is my #3. I have the newer build so I had the second screen shown and selected "no". It has updated the driver a couple times since then and I have checked and the "no" has stayed selected, even though Win 10 still updates drivers automatically.

And, yes