[SOLVED] How to stop Windows from detecting the controller as Direct Input (Dinput) ?

Oct 30, 2021
I am using a PS2 to PC adaptor. But it's never certain what Windows will detect it as, and vibration depends on it. If it detects as direct input (dinput) then it shows PC/PS3 Gamepad and i have no vibration. But rarely it detects as X360 Controller and the Dualshock 2 works perfectly. I assume it has something to do with me plugging a fake controller in the past, so Windows automatically installed the drivers for it and now it conflicts with this. I've tried many ways to remove drivers but it's almost impossible because it comes from Windows. What's my choice here except making a clean installation?

Dinput to Xinput converters don't work because it still uses Dinput as a base.

Solution
The software for the fake controller may have installed other things as well. Not malware per se but some other buggy or corrupt software.

No idea what those other things may be but there is something causing the fake controller to come back.

Take a look in Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer.

(Process Explorer is free from Microsoft)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Look for any running process or service that you can associate with a controller. Or something that could trigger the launching of a fake controller process, etc..

Could be in Task Manager > Startup or triggered viaTask Scheduler.

Do not start randomly disabling or removing things. Google to find...
Oct 30, 2021
Do you see the "fake controller" in Device Manager? (Ensure that Show hidden devices is checked via the View tab.)

If you see the fake controller you should be able to uninstall it.
I didn't plug the fake controller recently, i can try that. But even if i uninstall it through device manager it would come back. Windows is very stubborn about "verified" devices.

So i tried and removed the fake controller device, didn't help. VID & PID values are completely different (they are even different on a same controller based on detection dinput, xinput). Also i realised that when i connect DS2 the device manager shows IAC Compatible Game Controller and USB Input Device with the same VID & PID values. But when i connect the fake controller it only shows IAC Compatible Game Controller. Also when it detects DS2 as XInput it only shows one device in the X360 Controllers group. I don't know how this would help.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
The software for the fake controller may have installed other things as well. Not malware per se but some other buggy or corrupt software.

No idea what those other things may be but there is something causing the fake controller to come back.

Take a look in Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer.

(Process Explorer is free from Microsoft)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Look for any running process or service that you can associate with a controller. Or something that could trigger the launching of a fake controller process, etc..

Could be in Task Manager > Startup or triggered viaTask Scheduler.

Do not start randomly disabling or removing things. Google to find out what they are beforehand.

And as a matter of general purpose be sure to backup all important data at least 2 x to other host locations. Ensure that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS