How to stop Windwos 10 Creator's Fall Update permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
Every time I start my computer, I have to go into services and disable windows update and delivery optimization so it doesn't suck up my bandwidth in the background. Isn't there a permanent solution to disabling these?

Solution

MS deploys these updates for a reason.
You actually do need most of this stuff.

Aside from the vague "it never ends" (never? really?), why are you not letting it run to completion?
Go to KB3073930 and download Microsoft's own wushowhide.diagcab.
Run it
Click the link marked Advanced and uncheck the box marked "Apply repairs automatically." Click Next.
Click the link to Hide Updates. Tick the checkbox marked "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709," and click Next.
When you see the "Troubleshooting has completed" dialog, click close and 1709 will never bother you again.
You can run Disk Cleanup for System Files to remove any bits of it that may have already downloaded.

You may want to do this again when 1803 comes out to hide that too.

Would another way to be to declare all network connections as metered? so that it waits for an unmetered connection before attempting the updates?

However, what's the real reason for not wanting the fall update? Is it really just a bandwidth issue? or are you paying per GB?

From Wikipedia:
Features removed on version 1703 and 1709
Windows Update will no longer postpone the download of certain critical updates if the device is connected to a network that was designated by the user as being "metered". Although meant to prevent the updates from utilizing data allotments, this behavior had been used as a workaround by users to defy the requirement for all updates to be automatically downloaded.

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014

I installed the latest update but it had some bugs such as delayed steam games launch and having my secondary network stuck at identifying for like 2 hours

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014

It says there are no updates to hide =(. BTW I previously installed the creator's fall update through the windows upgrade assistant but for some reason it still continuously downloads something in the background.

EDIT: Okay seems like the second try did it. Let me see if it still bothers me. Thanks a lot for your help!

Figure out how to solve the problem, and not just stop the update.

2dumb2care

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
I'm using Windows10 Pro. I find a recent surprise guest on my desktop, the Win10.Upgrade.Assistant icon. My VPN is indicating I've got my download bandwidth being used profusely, what-da-heck! I have consistently tried to stop this latest Win10 Creator's Fall Update 1709 from installing permanently. It stopped my LAN card from its ability to WOW/WOL.

I already had placed a new IntelPro1000 LAN to replace 2 on-board Realtek Lans that were rendered useless for WOW/WOL when I upgraded to Win10 initially.

It really upset me that the latest Fall 1709 Update took out my Intel Lan's ability to WOW/WOL since that is the reason I had to go out and buy one initially. I haven't found a solution to date as no new drivers for my IntelPro1000 LAN have helped, and tried rolling back driver with the much touted KB3073930 wushowhide.diagcab, don't get me started on that. Soooooo.........tried all the usual suspects:

First try: Did the rollback update method over and over - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rollback-uninstall-windows-10-creators-update
No luck, Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant would reload and update the next day stopping my WOW/WOL ability until I rolled it back.

Second try: Did the turn off Windows Update method using Settings-Advanced Options - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10
No luck again, Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant installed again the next day and started the download again.

Third try: Did the Admin Command Line method - https://www.windows-commandline.com/start-stop-windows-update-service/
3 times the charm? Not really, Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant back up like a bad penny.

FINAL Solution: Stumbled on this recent Oct.14.2017 YouTube video, https://youtu.be/egD8DcEYI3E. Its a bit slow watching so basically is: Go to Task Scheduler - TaskSchedulerLibrary - Microsoft - Windows - Update Orchestrator.
Then pick UpdateAssistant - right click - Properties - Triggers Tab - Edit each Trigger then click Enabled box to Disable - OK.
Repeat for UpdateAssistantCalendarRun.

It finally worked! No updates downloading in the background, no Upgrade Assistant installed. This solution seems to be holding until Microsoft finds a way around it on the next upgrade push. Lastly, don't forget to go to Control Panel - Programs & Features and uninstall the Win10 Upgrade Assistant and the Upgrade if its been downloaded.

2dumb2care

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Because that method doesn't stop the OP's complaint and mine about the bandwidth suck at startup.

USAFRet

Titan

MS deploys these updates for a reason.
You actually do need most of this stuff.

Aside from the vague "it never ends" (never? really?), why are you not letting it run to completion?

Solution

2dumb2care

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

I'm not questioning your intelligence or reasoning, but if you read my too long of an explanation, I have a critical business need to wake my PC over the web (WOW) when traveling rather than leaving it on 24/7. I've let this last update install to the end at least 5 times but had to roll it back each time. Until I or MS can solve that problem with the update, its again critical to keep it from downloading (1. for the startup bandwidth problem which stops my remote file transfers, and 2. to keep it from overriding my attempts to disable the update from installing,) I have other security measures so I really don't need the MS security updates and the 1511 Win10 Pro build just hums along. I'm not against the update as had no problems with Falls Creator update to my laptops.

2dumb2care

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
There is no new Intel driver available for GTX100Pro PCI Lan Card, and Intel says use MS which tells me I have the latest driver. Installing and then using the wushowhide.diagcab to rollback the driver after the update doesn't work since the update didn't give me a newer lan driver. So the only fix now is to just stay on the current Win10 Pro version I'm at. I'm not going to go out and buy another Lan Card to solve this problem again, once was enough. If I let the update download, it eventually overrides any install prevention method known at this time. Keeping the Win10 Update Assistant out was the only solution since it kept downloading update at startup.

2dumb2care

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Since I have no new Intel lan adapter driver when the Win10 update installs, here's hoping all the other device driver updates are the culprit of my particular problem, if not then it will not be the obvious. I will try as you suggest. Will report back later. Thanks. Too bad blocking driver updates weren't available when I first converted to Win10.

UPDATE 2 Hours later: Obviously, the Intel Lan adapter driver is not the problem, still a mystery. Still same results when turning off all device driver updates. Rolled back update, everything working again for WOW / WOL. Its not broken, new & improved has its issues.

Next Day Research Seems a very common problem with last update that WOL is not working on a lot of forum rumblings. To date, no one has found a solution, and it is not a Bios issue, its a Fall's Creator issue. All us WOL complainers are now waiting for MS to find a solution as all their suggestions from support in the WIN 10 Community forums have not provided a fix that works for anyone. For now I'm holding static as an update orphan.

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014

Alright so after downloading updated manually, downloading them through the windows upgrade assistant and letting the background download run for like 14-20 hours, hiding updates using that microsoft kbxxxx tool, deleting the scheduled updates through task scheduler and disabling windows update from the services, I can finally say that I stopped this update mess. I don't really know which one did the trick but atleast it doesn't bother me anymore. Thanks everyone!

2dumb2care

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
@Asbaat:
Great! I can say from my experience that I did all those methods and the only one that worked was the last one, the Task Scheduler. Glad to hear you are confirming that it worked for you too.

traxxmy

Distinguished
BANNED
Dec 1, 2015

The Poster said he always need to disable it from starting each time the computer start. That's why i suggest for him to just set startup to manual so he won't need to disable it everytime the computer boot up. Just start it when you need it.

Patrick_1966

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016

I think MS made some changes to prevent the metered connection from blocking all updates. Google to confirm. In my case my video and network drivers are no longer supported so if I let the update proceed I am left with VGA(1024 x 768) and no networking or USB so I have to block all future feature updates but allow security updates to proceed for the version of windows I had (1607). The wushowhide.diagcab allows tis state to occur. But my six year old laptop will be scheduled for a replacement this year.

johnrichardgilmour

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018

Hi, please can you tell me how to uninstall the Upgrade if it's been downloaded. Thanks

Can you please start your on thread on this subject, you'll get your request noticed by a much wider range of people than just those that have paid interest to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS