How to store a laptop battery ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I have two laptops that I never use. I have stored them away with their battery connected to them. What is the procedure for storing a laptop battery ?

Is the following procedure correct?:

(1) Calibrate the battery. << How many times do I need to calibrate the battery ?
(2) Charge the battery to 50%.
(3) Store the battery.
(3) Wait X months... << How many months between each re-charge to 50% ?
(5) Re-charge the battery again to 50%.

Is this the right procedure ?

Lutfij

Titan
You should always disconnect the battery from the laptop in the event that they will be put away into storage for a long period(longer than a week). Charging the battery frequently like you would when the laptop might've been sued is a good way to maintain the life of a battery but for your case, I'd suggest that you take the battery and laptop out of storage, reconnect them, discharge the laptop's battery(by powering it up)to 10% and then recharge the battery from 10%>100%, then shut down, remove battery and then put it back into storage.

Why not sell or donate the laptops if they are still useful to someone vs sitting in a drawer doing nothing? Laptops that sit for a while tend to have issues turning on due to the main battery and CMOS battery draining. Keeping care of laptops you don't use just so you can charge the batteries every once in a while is a bit silly.