How to store all files in one place, then edit, access, and add more files remotely?

cactus_farmer

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Hello guys, I would appreciate any help with this.

I'm trying to store all my media files on one place (a server?).

I'll keep that server in the UK while I move to Australia for work. I'll take a laptop with no media files on it to Australia, but when I open iTunes, I want it to display all the songs I have on the server in the UK. When I press play I want the laptop in Australia to be able to play those songs, even though they are stored in that server in the UK.

When I download new music, I want the files to not go to my laptop in Australia, but directly to the server in the UK.

Is this set-up possible?

I will eventually have hundreds of terabytes of media files, so cloud-based storage such as Dropbox or OneDrive will not work.

If so, what do I need to get in order to make it so?

Thanks!!

cactus_farmer

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Thanks guys - so isn't a NAS device (usually) a one-off payment for unlimited web access to the files that fit into the hard-drive of the NAS unit?

And cloud-based services like Amazon Web Services/Dropbox/OneDrive are continual payments?

And is what I've outlined in my OP actually possible to do? Would a unit like the Asustor AS-202TE NAS be able to do it?

USAFRet

Titan
1. You have to pay continuing internet access at the UK location
2. If/when the UK machine has to be rebooted, who is going to do that?
3. To access it, you'll have to open up ports in your home router. Increasing a potential attack surface

And "hundreds of terabytes" ? What in the name of FSM are you storing?

TRENDING THREADS