News How to Stream Netflix, Fix YouTube on Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanca1944

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
Hi!
I got the following error

Invalid desktop entry file: '/usr/share/applications/chromium-media-browser.desktop'

And apparently no one has an explanation.

Regards

Jul 29, 2020
I get the same error. Sadly, there does not appear to be an installation candidate for chromium-browser in raspberry pi os 64 bit.

Is there an extra step or a repository that needs to be added?

Aug 21, 2020
So far so good, but I got an HTML5 error from Netflix.
Hulu and YouTube are smooth as butter.

Sep 11, 2020
I feel the linux community is filled with clowns when I read tutorials like this. Don't put command lines in one text box without putting a clear space for separation. I know <Mod Edit> about command lines. I don't know when the first part of the command stops and the other starts. And it's not my first time troubleshooting <Mod Edit> on Linux based systems where the community explains their fix with stupid shortcuts for their sentences. Explain properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 16, 2020
I have an Orange Pi plus 2e and have the problem with not being able to play amazon, which is a little frustrating as I purchased it to use as a sort of tv box. Anyway tried this and while it did seem to install allright, the Chromium Media would not start. I guess it is too different from the Raspberry.

helpful55

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
I still get the unsupported format error when I try to play YouTube (TV) videos. Will this not work with YouTubeTV? or any idea what is still wrong? Otherwise any idea what would make my pi 3 work with YouTubeTV? I may not even need 1080p although it would be nice.

shenkocaster

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012
By installing a simple piece of software, you can run a variety of streaming services including Netflix, HBO and Disney+.

How to Stream Netflix, Fix YouTube on Raspberry Pi : Read more
Yes! Netflix and Amazon.
This worked on my Pi4/4Gig. Fresh install of the full 02 Dec 2020 Raspberry OS, then followed the instructions in this article. Now both Netflix and Amazon Prime videos play perfectly, and switch in and out of full screen just by double clicking.
I hasten to add that I am a complete noob playing with my first Linux device, so my skill level would best be described as 'pre-kindergarten'.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
By installing a simple piece of software, you can run a variety of streaming services including Netflix, HBO and Disney+.

How to Stream Netflix, Fix YouTube on Raspberry Pi : Read more

Using Raspberry OS 32 bit on a Pi 4 B 8GB and this isn't fast. Yes it works, I can play Youtube a lot smoother than the default Chromium install and Netflix works now, but at even 1080p it drops frames like crazy and lags like hell. I daren't even try it at 4K if 1080p is this laggy. The Pi4 is certainly no dekstop replacement at this stage, at least on the 32bit OS.

I will try the 64bit to see if that makes it any faster.

Aug 23, 2021
Not only did it fail to work on my 3b+ / Buster, now sites that used to work fine will no longer play video. All video playback sites give the same, "failed to load" error message. I guess now it's time to reinstall the system. Thanks for making more work instead of fixing my problem. Maybe you should not offer solutions without also including the means to remove them and undo the damage they do.

Oct 30, 2021
With my Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB, it helped with viewing at 1080p50, but did not completely resolve the issue. This is not a problem with my ISP since I can view on my Linux Mint machine at the same time, and it doesn't change the behavior on the Pi. At this resolution it can run about 4 to 8 seconds before it stutters for a fraction of a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.