[SOLVED] How to stream using ryzen 7 5800x?

Jun 13, 2021
I have a ryzen 7 5800x and a gtx 1050ti. As you can see my cpu is much better than the gpu so i tried to stream using x264 but my fps in valorant was dropping from 160 to 60 sometimes even 40 (when on very fast preset) . I tried streaming through 1050ti (quality preset) and it was doing much better (140 avg fps on valo). I checked my cpu usage and i saw in task manager (while streaming) it went 100% while in msi afterburner it was showing 55% cpu usage (ig 55% usage was for that game and not the whole system).

Can anyone help me? I want to know if i can stream better with my cpu or gtx 1050ti will always be better than an 8core cpu for streaming.

Last edited:
Solution
The Ryzen 8 cores are just not good at streaming as they are supposed to be, I was surprised also when I tried to stream Cyberpunk and although in game It felt smooth, when watching the stream it was lagging like crazy. Streaming on a GPU to free up all your cores for gaming is the way to go or getting a second streaming PC I believe.
GPU transcoding is very much faster than CPU transcoding, so it makes sense that streaming would be too. It seems even older GPU's are faster than the latest CPU's for transcoding since they still have so many, many compute units they can run in parallel.

It's just not desireable to try GPU streaming your gaming action as it can leave rendering performance to suffer, with lower FPS.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
The Ryzen 8 cores are just not good at streaming as they are supposed to be, I was surprised also when I tried to stream Cyberpunk and although in game It felt smooth, when watching the stream it was lagging like crazy. Streaming on a GPU to free up all your cores for gaming is the way to go or getting a second streaming PC I believe.

Reactions: Amazing Aru
Solution
Jun 13, 2021
Yeah, i think i should have got a 5600x instead of 5800x so i could use the money saved on a better gpu. I wish the gpu situation was normal so i could get a 3060 ti as streaming on a 1050 ti is pain. It can't even run a game like yakuza 6 on 30fps while streaming. Only potato games like valorant and csgo are streamable with it

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
I think 8 cores is better investment, it will pay off for you in the latter years of your pc. I tried streaming dying light maxed out graphics at 240 FPS and it went to 200-220 sometimes 240 FPS when using the onboard gpu streaming chip. It looked good and felt smooth. So if ever streaming won't be using OBS no more.