[SOLVED] How to switch from integrated to discrete graphic card in laptop? AMD A8 with R5 and 8500M, drivers did not help.

Dec 9, 2020
Device manager, AMD Adrenalin 2020 and the old AMD Catalyst software all recognize both GPUs in my laptop: the integrated Radeon R5 and discrete 8500M HD. Yet, I am unable to use the the discrete one anywhere. Graphic options in Windows settings only shows R5 for both high performance and power saving modes. If I disable R5 in device manager, it doesn't use the 8500M and instead uses the generic display drivers.

So far, I have done complete reinstalls of the drivers from various sources: AMD, my manufacturer HP and Windows Update. Not sure whose drivers work properly.
I read something about the switchable graphic settings in BIOS, that give you "Fixed" and "Dynamic" options. There are no such options in my BIOS, which is the latest one given by the manufacturer.

Another thing that is missing is the "switchable graphics method" in the Catalyst software (also given by HP). It only lists settings for power saving card and not high performance.

Any more info will be given gladly, thanks in advance!

Specs:

HP 15-g002ax
AMD A8-6410 with Radeon R5 graphics 2.00GHz
4GB RAM
1TB HDD
Radeon 8500M HD
Latest Adrenalin software (30/11/2020 patch)
Catalyst Control Center 15.201.1101-150806a-187934C-HP
Full spec-sheet: HP 15-g002ax Notebook PC - Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only times the laptop should use the Radeon 8500 is in gaming and maybe some high intensive programs, rest of time it will run off the integrated graphics. That is how its designed to work.

to check, can you right click start
choose run...
type dxdiag and press enter

on front page of dxdiag, can you click save all information
this lets you create a text fil;e that shows all the info in here.
can you upload it to a file sharing website and show link, and I will look at it.

if the 8500 is meant to work as normal display device, it would show Full display device next to Device type on the display tab

Dec 9, 2020
Hey Colif, sorry for the late reply, but yes, normally the 8500M should take over when games are running. However, that isn't the case, as many games show R5 as the only GPU driver. Even in task manager and GPU-Z, the 8500M is idling at zero speed and workload; it seems to not work? Only the R5 runs at full speed.
Here is the link to the dxdiag info, do note that these were taken when I was using OEM provided old drivers from several years ago - I will edit my comment with new dxdiag info file when I install AMD provided latest drivers.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cHskh4RIcrfvy52lPv9zKNnFFhpPwpqH/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Here is the info file after installing Radeon Adrenalin Nov30 2020 patch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dMPePmmFZXjuAIYGIuw4FpyyT8Rm520i/view?usp=sharing
Not sure if it makes a difference, but here it is anyway.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
The 8500M isn't showing at all in DXDiag, it should be showing under the display and above sound.

It shows in device manager? As what I wonder? can you show me a screen shot?

Best choice for drivers would be HP. I would run ddu and remove any AMD display drivers and install them off the HP site for device as they should work with the feature - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Solution
Dec 9, 2020

Here it is, the 8500M shows under the Display Adapters section alongside the R5.

As for the drivers part, I have done the exact thing you said many times using DDU and installing HP drivers and AMD drivers separately to find no solutions. Could this be an OS issue?