How to switch from motherboard gpu to graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

nothingworks_26

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Ok so I just finished building a pc and everything worked great until I went to install the graphics card drivers that came in a cd. The program would not load at all. In addition, the graphics card is receiving power but when attached to an HDMI cord, there is no display; only the motherboard puts out an image. The computer doesn't recognize that I have a card installed and I can't find an option in the BIOS menu to switch the video output unless I just missed it. Also I double checked and as far as I can tell, all of the hardware is properly installed. Does anyone have a solution or a suggestion please? Thank you!

Also this is the motherboard: Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel H110 Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboard GA-H110M-A
And this is the graphics card (I think): XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card

Solution

I checked your MB and GPU compatibility so that's not the issue.

Leaving it on Auto in Bios should work if the dedicated GPU is installed properly.
You may have contamination...
Hi nothingworks_26 :) and in case you missed it.

Go to Bios>Peripherals>Initial Display Output.

Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI Express graphics card or the onboard graphics.
IGFX Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)

nothingworks_26

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Thank you for your response MeanMachine41!

I entered the BIOS screen and saw the Initial Display Output option you mentioned. However, mine was already set to the PCIe 1 slot yet only the motherboard displays. I tried switching to IGFX and only the mobo worked (as expected) and then I switched back to PCIe 1 with no difference. I noticed that under Chipset>Internal Graphics you can switch between Auto, Enabled, and Disabled to enable/disable the IGFX. I didn't mess with that but is that option at all important here or is there another possible solution?

I checked your MB and GPU compatibility so that's not the issue.

Leaving it on Auto in Bios should work if the dedicated GPU is installed properly.
You may have contamination in the PCIe slot. Blow out the slot with compressed air from a canister and clean the terminals with Isopropyl alchohol 95%. Only do this with power turned off and Recheck your connections and that the card is seated properly.
Check the card in another system and if it works in that system then there is a problem with your MB.
You could try clearing CMOS or flashing Bios to latest just incase the Bios got corrupted.

Solution

nothingworks_26

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016

That did the trick. Thank you!!

Your Welcome nothingworks_26 and glad you have it sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.