[SOLVED] How to switch from old GPU to new GPU when old GPU no longer works ?

Aug 11, 2021
I am not sure how to install my new GPU. I had to upgrade much sooner because my GTX MSI 1660 Super died on me. I was simply working on google Docs when my screen went grey and I no longer got a POST. I restarted the PC and saw the VGA light on my motherboard was lit and I never got a POST. I managed to get an RX 6700XT Radeon stock version. However how do I install the new GPU without running into stability issues? Since my current system has Geforce drivers installed and I can't get my PC to POST so I can't go in and use DDU to remove the old drivers and install AMD drivers. What is the best way to install my new GPU without causing system stability issues? Thank you for the help in advance. I will drop my specs below.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard: MSI X470 gaming Plus
Ram: G.SKill 16GB 3200 2x8
Old GPU: MSI Ventus XS 1660 Super
New GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700XT 12GB GDDR6 Factory version, not a 3rd party card.
PSU: EVGA ATX 650W 80+ Bronze semi-modular

Solution
First of all, just physically and completely remove the old NVIDIA GPU from your system from the PCIe slot. Make sure there is no dust settled on the slot, and just plug in the new AMD card firmly on the PCI-e slot, and reboot your system. Make sure to connect the PCI/PEG power cables to the new GPU as well.

Once you restart you should be able to re-install the new GPU drivers again via DDU or otherwise. As a side note, try to clear and reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, after physically installing the new GPU on this system, if need be. Else, this step is not a compulsion.
First of all, just physically and completely remove the old NVIDIA GPU from your system from the PCIe slot. Make sure there is no dust settled on the slot, and just plug in the new AMD card firmly on the PCI-e slot, and reboot your system. Make sure to connect the PCI/PEG power cables to the new GPU as well.

Once you restart you should be able to re-install the new GPU drivers again via DDU or otherwise. As a side note, try to clear and reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, after physically installing the new GPU on this system, if need be. Else, this step is not a compulsion.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution
Aug 11, 2021
Oh ok, would it be safer to completely reinstall windows. I have a spare SSD I can use in order to install a new set of windows onto that SSD and just operate the other SSD like extra storage.

That's up to you. If you wish you can also re-install Windows OS as well, but this is NOT required for any new GPU to work. Unless of course there are some corrupt system files, or your system is slow/lagging or any other issue. But doing a FRESH Windows copy install never hurts !

I always format my SSD frequently, even though it is not required.