How to switch from window xp to windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

nor0612

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
i have windows xp on my dell desktop, which is three of four years old. i recently purchased a laptop with windows 7 and i like it better than xp. so being computer illiterate i need to know to copy my music and photos to cd or dvd. I want to start over fresh on the desktop (system restore) i believe its called. how do i do this i've looked everywhere. I need step by step instructions. just pretend like you're talking top a 10 year old. Even though most 10 year olds prob know more about computers than i do. thanks in advance

Solution

What I suggested above will work. You'll have a nice shiny new version of windows 7. You can pull all your pictures and documents from the windows.old folder - no need to use CD's or USB drives, then when you're satisfied you have all your data, just delete the windows.old folder and you are left with your shiny new windows 7 and no left over bloat.

EDIT:
I do recommend you run the windows 7 upgrade advisor first as it will show if you can run windows 7 or not and list incompatible software/hardware...
best way to transfer your files is probably with a usb flash drive rather than a cd/dvd

flash drives are very cheap nowadays

system restore may not restore your pc to a pristine state as it will probably have overwritten the oldest restore points in the 3 or 4 years you have had it--and it doesnt always work anyway--maybe a 75% success rate

system restore is--start--all programs --accessories--system tools--system restore--then pick your restore point

nor0612

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
the only reason i want to use a dvd or cd is because that's what i have at home right now. I kind of wanted to do it today. I guess i could run out tomorrow and grab one. I thank you very much

not saying you cant do it on cd/dvd just sometimes a disc written in one pc can be temperamental reading in another plus flash drive should be faster--if you only have a cd/dvd then might as well use it if you are in a hurry

your pc may have a hidden recovery partition that will take it back to factory settings--though there will be loads of security updates etc once you have a clean install--probably well over 100

I don't think the OP wants a system restore. She wants to put windows 7 on her desktop, not dual boot or anything.

@OP: If you purchase a copy of windows 7, you can just run the installer and choose "custom install". It will rename your XP windows folder to windows.old so that you can still pull data from it.

nor0612

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
if i go the flash drive route what size would i need? I have around 5000 photos and 1000 songs. What do you mean by security updates?? i'm so confused

nor0612

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

i want both a system restore and windows 7. My computer has alot of useless stuff on it. also is running slow. i figured if i took everything off and started from scratch it would improve speed wise

at least an 8gb flash drive or a 16gb if you can afford it

if you were to restore your xp drive to how it was when it was new then there would be a large amount of updates needed --these can be downloaded from windows update

you did say restore your xp--or as hawkeye says did you mean you want windows 7 on the desktop as well as the laptop as thats a totally different thing

What I suggested above will work. You'll have a nice shiny new version of windows 7. You can pull all your pictures and documents from the windows.old folder - no need to use CD's or USB drives, then when you're satisfied you have all your data, just delete the windows.old folder and you are left with your shiny new windows 7 and no left over bloat.

EDIT:
I do recommend you run the windows 7 upgrade advisor first as it will show if you can run windows 7 or not and list incompatible software/hardware.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Solution

nor0612

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
i dont understand. i'm sorry. extremely computer illiterate. what if i want everything off my computer except my music, photos and videos. is there a way to do that?? will i have to purchase windows 7??? can't i just download it for free? i'm trying to do this the easiest and cheapest way possible

Winows is not free. If you want to upgrade from XP, you must purchase windows 7. if you just want your music, videos, and such, follow the instructions I listed above.

If you are not familiar with computers, which I don't think you are, you will be better off taking your computer to best buy or someplace that will upgrade it for you.

nor0612

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
i think you are absolutely right. if i mess with it i'm going to have to end up taking it in anyway. i might as well save myself the aggravation. thanks so much for all your help. i do appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.