Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
If I have a 144hz refresh rate monitor, does it mean that I need to output 144 FPS in all of the games that I play in order to fully utilize and take advantage of the 144hz refresh rate? If the FPS I'm getting in all of my games are below 144 FPS does that mean that I am not able to take advantage of the monitor's fresh rate? And if I exceed 144 FPS in all of my games does that still take advantage of the 144hz refresh rate? I mean getting more than a 144 FPS means that I am exceeding the number of times the monitor can refresh the display, at least that's how I understand it. Does this imply that I am not able to take advantage of the 144hz refresh rate if I'm exceeding the monitor's refresh rate capability?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited:
Solution
Having a 144Hz monitor doesn't mean you have to do everything 144Hz.

The main advantage if you're a fps gamer and prettymuch could tell the difference and the feel the aiming/shooting delay between Vsync and uncapped fps @60hz, then a 144Hz monitor WOULD help you to be more responsive on aiming/shooting. Another benefit is when you scroll the browser or discord, it will be pretty much buttery smooth eye candy. if it's below 144hz say 60fps, it would still display 60fps, but a bit more responsive, an if it went above 144fps, it will be much buttery smooth eye candy + more responsive on the game.

I did this test myself using a 165hz monitor and i could easily tell and feel the difference, even with vsync on it will stay no more...
Having a 144Hz monitor doesn't mean you have to do everything 144Hz.

The main advantage if you're a fps gamer and prettymuch could tell the difference and the feel the aiming/shooting delay between Vsync and uncapped fps @60hz, then a 144Hz monitor WOULD help you to be more responsive on aiming/shooting. Another benefit is when you scroll the browser or discord, it will be pretty much buttery smooth eye candy. if it's below 144hz say 60fps, it would still display 60fps, but a bit more responsive, an if it went above 144fps, it will be much buttery smooth eye candy + more responsive on the game.

I did this test myself using a 165hz monitor and i could easily tell and feel the difference, even with vsync on it will stay no more than 144hz and still alot more responsive. On a 60Hz monitor? with VSync i do feel and infact the aiming is less responsive due to delay, but uncapped? yes it is still 60hz BUT it is alot more responsive. Not a placebo, a real time test i done myself :D

Solution