How to take desktop with me to Japan

justin_schultz

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
Hello, I will be traveling to Japan next week to study abroad for a year and am planning on taking my desktop, monitor, keyboard, and mouse with me. I am wondering what the best way to go about doing this without causing any damage to the computer is. I've been reading several things that say I should take the hard drive in my carry on to avoid damage but I'm not exactly sure for the rest of the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: So I just got off the phone with DHL after calling UPS who said it would be way too expensive to ship with them, and they quoted me at like $450 (USD). So I guess at this point I'd want to try and take it in my luggage. How can I go about getting it to Japan with me undamaged?

Solution
look online for pelican type case. one with foam and a hard shell. put the pc in the case and see what the xtra charge would be to take in on a plane or ship it to japan.

USAFRet

Titan
Ship it in the original case box. Just like a prebuilt PC would have come from China to your door.

If you have a large GPU, or a large air cooler...take those out.
The hard drive will be safer bolted into the case rather than you carrying it.

justin_schultz

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

Yeah I was thinking of just shipping instead of bringing it as luggage, just figured since it fit in my suitcase I'd check if it was convenient. Also I don't have the original box or anything as i built it back in 2011.