How to tame a rabid Macboy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
My price includes the copy of Vista Ultimate x64, so no, that's not an error in my price list. I just didn't bother to list it - it's not a complete list, more of an overview of the key differences. Besides, what if you run Ubuntu?

support maybe. but at least when you get a PC over the MAC you have the choice of not having to automatically get an OS with it. you really do not think think MAC OSX is not included in the price of the Mac? its maybe one of the reasons why its so expensive in the first place. And then you can go download a free OS like one of the many flavors of Linux. try telling apple i just want the computer and not OSX. as for support sure you can add another $500.00 to the price to get the mac care warranty and plus with an apple there are very few people you would be able to find to help you with your computer issues and forced to call apple when you may have a friend or 2 that knows about PC's and could save some time and money. plus the advantage with building your own PC is that every part in your PC has its own warranty unlike with apple where there could be many things you could do with it that may void your warranty

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I agree with what your saying, im not a mac/apple fan at all. The apple tax is there for all to see.

Its just games have been mentioned (so thats a windows platform as far as the pc goes), and the price of an OS has been totally missed out of the PC rigs, but is included in the mac price by default.

The real price gap in reality isn't as much as is being made out here.

Dustpuppy

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

So add a hundred bucks to the price.

As for generics, when you're building a low end low power PC they're great. If you think your comp is going to draw 350w tops then there's hardly a need for a great PSU. I do agree about mid range and higher PC's. Generic parts are a bad idea on a $1k rig.

As for why the OS, case, CD & dvd etc are left off

PC's can be assembled and old crap ported over, mac boys usually don't get that luxury. I've used the same copy of windows XP since it was released and been through 3 systems since then.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

lol :) too late

and since when was the latest version of windows 100 'bucks' ?

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
What is sad is that here in the states, at least 90 percent of college kids have macs. Its almost like its a fashion excessory like a pocket book. This our "smart" college educated population. More proof that this country is just getting dumber and dumber.

It isn't the power that's the problem. Many generics can't supply stable power at any level, and will have out of spec ripple or voltage at even a moderate load. Honestly, when a good PSU is so cheap (like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703018), there's no reason to get a $40 generic that might damage the rest of your components.

Changnoi

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah, Mac hardware is all flash and no fire.

But think about this - the average Windows user hates their computer.

The average Mac user loves their Mac.

Really?

I love my computer, and I don't think that many Windows users hate their computer at all. In fact, none of the people I know who use windows hate their computer.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

I love your computer also.

Changnoi

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
People here aren't typical users. Most people don't have a clue what their doing, and when they can't do something simple they just blame Microsoft.

"Vista blows cuz I can't use an 8 year old modem."

"Windoze sucks cuz Crysis on on a Geforce 5200 looks like butt."

"You mean I have to save it or it goes away...?"

They get frustrated when they buy an Atom processor really cheap and it turns out to be total crap. These people don't have see-through cases...but they're good condidates for aluminum macbooks.