How to tell if a laptop GPU has had hardware failure?

digitalpanda213

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017
My laptop, an MSI GE70-i765M or something close, recently started having some issues. I noticed I was getting terrible FPS in games, and that everything was using my intel HD graphics and not my GeForce 765m. Device manager said windows had disabled my GPU because it reported problems (error 43). So I uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and updated the drivers, but it gave the same error. I tried this about 5 more times in slightly different ways. I used DDU, I tried using old drivers, I tried reset at different point, and finally I tried reinstalling windows. I still had the problem, so I took my laptop to my colleges tech services. They reimaged it and said that fixed it, but it didn't. I can't see very much about my card right now since windows disabled it, but how can I know if its a hardware issue? Thanks for any help you can give :)

DarkEvonik

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
It seems as if your GPU is failing, same thing happened to mine and it turned out to be faulty hardware.

If you've tried even re-installing Windows, i'd suggest trying to get a warranty claim from MSI they do have good client support.

digitalpanda213

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017

Thanks for the reply DarkEvonik :) That's the conclusion I'm coming to as well. I've tried every trick in the book I know, and that's the only thing I can think it could be. My laptop is verging on 4 years old now, so the MSI Warranty is expired, but luckily I still have a SquareTrade Warranty on it.

DarkEvonik

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012

Of course! try to get a warranty claim asap and good luck!

TRENDING THREADS