Question How to tell if a motherboard prefers 2 or 4 dimms being populated?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Years ago there was a buildzoid video where he mentions for T-topology boards use 4 dimms, for daisy chain us 2 dimms.
I am picking up the MSI z690 Tomahawk for my new build and trying to figure out which it is. Is there a way to determine this?
I would like to reuse my 4x8Gb of 3600 CL16 ram, but if it is daisy chain then I'll just buy the DDR5 version and get a 2 dimm set of 6400 CL32.
Would love to save the extra cash though.

Solution
T Topology is probably legacy by now. Current generations use Daisy chain mostly. But you can still use your existing kit, the difference will not be too significant.
Good to know thanks! Also, where is the best answer button gone? It isn't showing up for me.
Guess, they have changed some stuff...

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Guess, they have changed some stuff...
Weird, I don't have that side bar with the check mark at all on my desktop.. I'll have to reach out to a mod.

Reactions: Hellfire13
Years ago there was a buildzoid video where he mentions for T-topology boards use 4 dimms, for daisy chain us 2 dimms.
I am picking up the MSI z690 Tomahawk for my new build and trying to figure out which it is. Is there a way to determine this?
I would like to reuse my 4x8Gb of 3600 CL16 ram, but if it is daisy chain then I'll just buy the DDR5 version and get a 2 dimm set of 6400 CL32.
Would love to save the extra cash though.
T-topology data path routing usually demands higher layer counts. One way to see that easily is check the surface of the board between the CPU and DIMM sockets. If it is densely packed with copper traces just under the gel coat it's probably not a 4 layer (or more) board. A lower layer count would be an unlikely candidate for T-Topology.