How to tell if cpu is broken

Brett_16

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
just bought new cpu i7-6700 and when installing it into new mobo which turned out to not be compatible anyway so i wasn't able to see if cpu worked, i bent it a tiny bit on the bottom right edge at the end its very slight but noticeable if you look hard enough. i was wondering when i get new mobo if this cpu will work like what are main signs it is broken? despite the clearly obvious ones, i just pray it isn't broken and cant find out till i get new mobo

Solution
There is a misconception, especially amongst first time PC builders, that the CPU's are fragile. THEY ARE NOT. Your CPU is most likely fine. The thing you don't want to damage is the heat shield, the metal bit over the die. The only real way you can damage that is to touch it, because you are contaminating it so heat cannot pass through it effectively. And even then the CPU would still work. The other way you can damage a CPU is by static of course (ESD isn't as common as people make out). If you have an AMD CPU or an Intel pre LGA 775 then of course the pins can be bent. It looks like you'll be fine. Don't worry.

Alex Kensit

DarnitD

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
there is a chance it will work just fine. i've heard of ones with chipped corners that still work just fine. with that being said it might not work.. Id imagine if it wasnt functioning properly you would be able to tell.

alexkensit

Respectable
May 14, 2016
There is a misconception, especially amongst first time PC builders, that the CPU's are fragile. THEY ARE NOT. Your CPU is most likely fine. The thing you don't want to damage is the heat shield, the metal bit over the die. The only real way you can damage that is to touch it, because you are contaminating it so heat cannot pass through it effectively. And even then the CPU would still work. The other way you can damage a CPU is by static of course (ESD isn't as common as people make out). If you have an AMD CPU or an Intel pre LGA 775 then of course the pins can be bent. It looks like you'll be fine. Don't worry.

Alex Kensit

Solution