Question How To Tell if Motherboard Killed CPU

Lovin1995

Commendable
Jul 7, 2019
Hello everyone!

The other day I was playing a game on my PC, and all of a sudden it shut off, almost like a power surge. It turned back on and I used it again for an hour or two before it shut off again. This time, however, I could not get it to turn back on. I tried resetting my BIOS, clearing CMOS, etc etc, and eventually I realized one of my components must have died.

So the symptoms I was having were the motherboard RGB and all my fans would turn on, but my display would never come up. I noticed that my keyboard never connected as well, so I figured it was not my GPU. Unfortunately my motherboard had no speaker or LED diagnosis lights, so I had to guess what was wrong. I ended up trying a different PSU, motherboard, and RAM, and none of them worked. The new motherboard had LED debug, and the CPU light is consistently on.

As far as the CPU goes, I had not had any real issues with it until a couple of weeks ago. My AIO stopped working for a brief period of time, and my system shut itself down from CPU overheating two or three times before I got it fixed. I had no other issues before then.

So my question is, I know I will need to get a new CPU, but do I need to avoid using my original motherboard? What is the likelihood that my motherboard fried the CPU vs I just had a faulty one? I'd like to avoid replacing every component if I need to, but if it's necessary then it is what it is.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600X
RTX 3080
16 GB RAM
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi (Original Motherboard)
MSI B550 Gaming Pro (replacement board I can return if the old one is safe)