Question How to tell if my MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi supports 64gb of ddr4 4000mhz?

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Ive looked in the manual. All four dimm slots can be used. I want to upgrade but currently have two 16gb sticks of gskill trident z f4-4000mhz for a total of 32gb. Im not sure whether to buy identical sticks to run 4 slots for a total of 64gb and if my mobo will be able to run it. I know id have to play with xmp which is already on to run at 4000mhz but Im not sure if using all four slots lowers the maximum possible speed.

Also Ive read that even buying the identical kit some components may have changed in the manufacturing process since I bought the kit last year and could cause stability issues. I could grab the same kit for 150 dollars right now. Would getting a 64gb kit at say 3600mhz actually seem slower if the applications I use dont use all available memory?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Do you need 64gb?

You can always buy from amazon try it and if you have issues just return it. I have had great luck mixing ram in the past but not always perfect, sometimes you will run into weird issues.

Best to mention your system specs as well.

I have had good look with the 3600mhz CL16 gskill trident.

If it was me I would just add too matching sticks and call it day. (you are correct different manf date can cause issues but personally I have not ran into that yet)

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Do you need 64gb?

You can always buy from amazon try it and if you have issues just return it. I have had great luck mixing ram in the past but not always perfect, sometimes you will run into weird issues.

Best to mention your system specs as well.

I have had good look with the 3600mhz CL16 gskill trident.

If it was me I would just add too matching sticks and call it day. (you are correct different manf date can cause issues but personally I have not ran into that yet)
Brief specs are i9 10900k gtx 3070ti and a couple of m.2 ssds. Mobo is msi z590 gaming edge wifi. I think I'll wait until I upgrade the mobo and cpu but when I shop for mobos od like to make sure 64gb is supported and at what max speed.

How to tell if my MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi supports 64gb of ddr4 4000mhz?
You read motherboard specification.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z590-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/Specification

Your board supports up to 128GB of ram. 4 ram slots, 32GB ram modules.
If you need 64GB, then get 2x32GB DDR4 ram kit.

If you mix different ram kits together, that may cause compatibility issues.
Ram modules may not be able to run at max rated frequency.
Manual tweaking of ram parameters may be necessary.
They may even refuse to work together at all. This is rather rare though.