[SOLVED] How to tell if RAM overclocking is in effect?

Nov 2, 2021
I activated XMP in UEFI, and the available profile claimed to bump the bandwidth of my hardware (two 8GB sticks) from stock 1600Mhz to 2133MHz. In the OS, software like Speccy, as well as the plain old command-line, report a speed of 1600MHz (e.g. CPU-Z = 800MHz Bus = 1600 MHz). Does that mean the XMP isn't working?

Tangentially, why does activating XMP change the SATA protocol from AHCI to RAID? I had a few minutes of panic dealing with a master boot error until I noticed what had happened and restored the setting to AHCI.

Solution
Frequency in Cpuz under memory tab will say 1066 if ram is running at 2133 double data rate.

Xmp doesn't change boot configuration so don't know what happened there because xmp only adjusts ram and nothing else.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Frequency in Cpuz under memory tab will say 1066 if ram is running at 2133 double data rate.

Xmp doesn't change boot configuration so don't know what happened there because xmp only adjusts ram and nothing else.

Solution
I activated XMP in UEFI, and the available profile claimed to bump the bandwidth of my hardware (two 8GB sticks) from stock 1600Mhz to 2133MHz. In the OS, software like Speccy, as well as the plain old command-line, report a speed of 1600MHz (e.g. CPU-Z = 800MHz Bus = 1600 MHz). Does that mean the XMP isn't working?

Tangentially, why does activating XMP change the SATA protocol from AHCI to RAID? I had a few minutes of panic dealing with a master boot error until I noticed what had happened and restored the setting to AHCI.
Try task manager/perf/memory look at the ram speed.
Turn xmp on/off does the ram speed change?

Nov 2, 2021
I think I figured it out by looking more closely at Speccy. It appears the OC frequency just doesn't reflect in many readings.

VxEF908.png