[SOLVED] How to tell if ssd is dead?

MeSaMyOuNoOb

Honorable
Jan 3, 2016
I woke up this morning and tried turning on my pc, it was working fine I got passed the Gigabyte mobo name part, and then type ur password to get through to into Windows.
I noticed after I typed my password it was taking ages to load then it finally loaded and I opened chrome after that it all went down hill.
The pc crashed and would turn on and off again I tried using my other 2 hdd and I had to do a Windows repair on them.

The one that worked was working fine it was slow but normal for hdd I then tried the ssd again, It was the same thing again for a few mins and then it loads.

I got into windows and when I loaded in I was greeted by none of my application icons and a non stop loading wheel and when I click it I get a white screen, and then it refreshes constantly that's as far as I have gotten.
I've had the ssd for about 3 years now

One of the strange things is I can still move files from a to it but just can't use Windows on it or open anything.

I'm assuming that means The ssd is dead?

Solution
I woke up this morning and tried turning on my pc, it was working fine I got passed the Gigabyte mobo name part, and then type ur password to get through to into Windows.
I noticed after I typed my password it was taking ages to load then it finally loaded and I opened chrome after that it all went down hill.
The pc crashed and would turn on and off again I tried using my other 2 hdd and I had to do a Windows repair on them.

The one that worked was working fine it was slow but normal for hdd I then tried the ssd again, It was the same thing again for a few mins and then it loads.

I got into windows and when I loaded in I was greeted by none of my application icons and a non stop loading wheel and when I click it I get a white...

I got into windows and when I loaded in I was greeted by none of my application icons and a non stop loading wheel and when I click it I get a white screen, and then it refreshes constantly that's as far as I have gotten.
I've had the ssd for about 3 years now

One of the strange things is I can still move files from a to it but just can't use Windows on it or open anything.

I'm assuming that means The ssd is dead?
First thing would be to check it's health as it's quite possible that only windows or file system is corrupted.

Reactions: MeSaMyOuNoOb
Solution

Lutfij

Titan
If the storage devices does not show up in BIOS(on your system), does not show up in disk manager when plugged into a donor system, that's when you know that the drive is dead.

Mind sharing the specs to your build? Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model, the version for your OS if you're on Windows 10 and the BIOS version on your motherboard.

MeSaMyOuNoOb

Honorable
Jan 3, 2016
If the storage devices does not show up in BIOS(on your system), does not show up in disk manager when plugged into a donor system, that's when you know that the drive is dead.

Mind sharing the specs to your build? Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model, the version for your OS if you're on Windows 10 and the BIOS version on your motherboard.
Cpu: ryzen 1600
Gpu: zotac mini 1060 6gb
Mobo: gigabyte ab350 gaming bios ver.F7
Ram: 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ballistix
Hhd: 2x Western digital blue
Ssd: m.2 crucial 1tb ct1000p1ssd
Psu: evga 700b bronze certified
Case: corsair spec delta rgb carbide series
Os:Windows 10 (not sure what version cant really check atm)
Nearly all parts are 4 years old but ram and ssd the ssd is 3

The devices shows up in bios it just loads very slowly into Windows and gets stuck on main page without icons and I can go on hdd and move stuff from the m.2 ssd

I have a feeling its windows that's probably corrupted

Last edited:

MeSaMyOuNoOb

Honorable
Jan 3, 2016
First thing would be to check it's health as it's quite possible that only windows or file system is corrupted.
I did a hardware benchmark
Cpu: ryzen 1600
Gpu: zotac mini 1060 6gb
Mobo: gigabyte ab350 gaming bios ver.F7
Ram: 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ballistix
Hhd: 2x Western digital blue
Ssd: m.2 crucial 1tb ct1000p1ssd
Psu: evga 700b bronze certified
Case: corsair spec delta rgb carbide series
Os:Windows 10 (not sure what version cant really check atm)
Nearly all parts are 4 years old but ram and ssd the ssd is 3

The devices shows up in bios it just loads very slowly into Windows and gets stuck on main page without icons and I can go on hdd and move stuff from the m.2 ssd

I have a feeling its windows that's probably corrupted

I decided to try and revert back a few weeks before any updates I had to try it repeatedly as it kept giving me an error it seems that a recent update had corrupted windows on my ssd. It wouldn't allow me to delete any updates at first or even revert back but I kept trying and it worked. Looks like I'm not updating anytime soon 😂😂

Thanks for the help👍

TRENDING THREADS