[SOLVED] How to tell if there is throttling?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
If I leave Prime 95 run for an extended length of time, and the OC seems to be passing muster...
how do I tell if there had been any throttling or not during the run? I mean, short of sitting there and watching the clockspeed or multiplier for hours?

Solution
You would have to take that data and import it into excel or libreoffice and get a nice line chart going. Then you could see any dips and spikes over time.

Yes, VRM throttling can lead to the CPU pulling back. You would want to keep a close eye on the temperatures coming off the motherboard. Any getting up near 90-105C would be a sign of overheating VRMs.

If it doesn't throttle within a few minutes of a stress test, it isn't likely too. Air coolers don't take all that long to reach temperature.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Well, you can set whatever tool you are using to monitor the clock speed to log.

Throttling would only occur if there was a lack of power or the temperature approached the TJMax of the CPU, typically 100C.

By lack of power, did you mean not enough vcore? Or poor MOSFETS? This board supposedly suffers from that.

I'm using HWMon, and dumped a run to the .txt file. It produced a lot of data, but nothing to clue me in on whether there was throttling or not.
FX-6350 (44C max)
Asrock 970M Pro 3
Enermax ETS N30 III

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You would have to take that data and import it into excel or libreoffice and get a nice line chart going. Then you could see any dips and spikes over time.

Yes, VRM throttling can lead to the CPU pulling back. You would want to keep a close eye on the temperatures coming off the motherboard. Any getting up near 90-105C would be a sign of overheating VRMs.

If it doesn't throttle within a few minutes of a stress test, it isn't likely too. Air coolers don't take all that long to reach temperature.

Solution