[SOLVED] How to tell the difference between a bad mobo and CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetimeistwo

Commendable
Feb 21, 2018
About a month ago some of the USB ports on my old motherboard broke, so I decided to get a new one. It showed up and after installation my PC would shut off after a second or two of being powered on. This could've been a PSU problem, and I was already looking to replace it anyways, so I got a new PSU as well. Now, after everything is installed, the PC still turns off after one second.

I've gone through the boot failure troubleshoot flowchart and ended up at the "swap CPU, if good then mobo, if not then CPU" end. I have a friend who's willing to try his CPU in my PC, but we'd like to not jeopardize another PC if there's an easier way to tell what the issue is. It's not the PSU, I tried it in another computer and it worked just fine.

The motherboard is a replacement one, because the first one they shipped had some broken pins on it. There's really no reason why it should be the CPU, because it worked just fine before this all started and I've been careful not to even touch the contacts. Is there an easier way to decide what the issue is than swapping the CPU?

Specs:
i7 7700
GTX 1070
4 x 8GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM
MSI Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Mobo
EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze PSU
256 GB SSD
1TB Hard Drive