How to tell what type of CPU Fan Connector?

woovoong

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
i've been saving up to buy parts for my new computer, the fan is louder than me shoving a firecracker in ur ear. i wanted to do a whole redon, new mobo, keyboard, mouse and add more ram. the problem is that i dont know what type of fan connector for the cpu is. how can i tell.

the mobo im planning on buy is ASUS M2A-VM, heres a link to it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131172,
can someone tell me how i can tell or tell me wat type of cpu connector type it is? whether its 3 pin or 4 pin. can someone show/teach me how to look for it? thx

nukemaster

Titan
Almost all modern boards(this one included) has a 4 pin cpu fan connector. All the 4th pin is for is a PWM(Pulse Width Modulation) single to control fan speed. Either way a 3 pin fan will run on a 4 pin board and a 4 pin fan will run on a 3 pin board. Speed control with voltage still works on a PWM fan....and if you run a 3 pin fan on a 4 pin board there is an option in the bios to control fan speed with voltage...

As you see it's a normal plug with an extra pin....Left side is a 3 pin right is a 4 pin plugged in...

woovoong

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Ok, but sometimes, like on my mobo, stock from dell dimension e521, it only has a 4 pin, but if u were to buy it from other sites or companies, they should have 4 pin correct? for example; my mobo wouldnt allow a 3 pin due to the little slits to keep it in place, but others now can do allow you to connect it with out the slits?

nukemaster

Titan

Some dells(new ones) will use a 4pin pwm others used a 4pin dell proprietary connector

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS