[SOLVED] How to tell whats wrong with my CPU.

Apr 28, 2020
Hi all, my system is as follows.

Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard
AMD fx-8320 CPU
H80i GT corsair cooler
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 770
8gb ddr3 ram Corsair (2x4gb sticks)
1tb hdd
750w PSU.

I got much of above from my brother in law and it worked great for him. We built the PC in my case, the CPU pins bent slightly but we bent them back and it's seated very well. But every time I play a slightly gfx intensive game it cuts out after about 15mins and the PC resets. This has been the case with tomb raider (2013), Gears of war 4 and the new COD. All set on the appropriate graphics settings for that set up so technically should run. It doesn't do it on more simple games, for example it works fine on Minecraft, TF2, AoE2HD, and old disc games like BF2 and BF1942 so it's clearly when it's under pressure from a newer game. Also it doesn't struggle to run the higher gfx games , it runs them absolutely no problem with no crazy fan noise, super smooth for 15mins or so and then suddenly cuts.

I used MSI to monitor and just before it cut the temperatures were great, 36C for CPU and just over 50C for GPU. The PC will also run indefinitely without playing games, I left it on for 2 days straight, doing various bits and bobs like word processing and to stream my XBOX which was downstairs so I could play upstairs. Worked great. But as soon as I play a game, it will work for about 15mins and then reset. It always resets doesn't turn off.

Now, at first I assumed either PSU or GPU. But I happened to have an old motherboard with a AMD processer in a Phenom II X6 1090T. What's odd is, with this processor I played over an hour of gears of war with the exact same settings and some alien isolation on Ultra. Works absolutely fine, fans get same kind of volume but nothing worse.

So surely it must be my CPU right? If so, is there anything I can do? All the pins are in place.

Or could it be something else, is it possible a more powerful CPU is causing something else to cut out doing the exact same task as another inferior CPU?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would just buy another 8320 but with all this rubbish going on and work cuts, I can't afford it!

Many thanks in advance

J

Solution
I do not know whats happening but if your pc resets every 15 mins could be down to the psu so check your PSU voltage with HWMonitor and bent cpu pins might not help ether. Also your saying it works fine with older games that suggest to me thats it down to specs. But hope some more people help you out but i would check PSU if it resets!.
I do not know whats happening but if your pc resets every 15 mins could be down to the psu so check your PSU voltage with HWMonitor and bent cpu pins might not help ether. Also your saying it works fine with older games that suggest to me thats it down to specs. But hope some more people help you out but i would check PSU if it resets!.

Solution