[SOLVED] How to tell which component is out of order?

zipswich

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I have a PC with Asus MB P8 H77-M and Intel i5-3570K. It suddenly shut down today, and I could not restart it. I found the PSU's fan stopped, and it was very warm. I replaced it with a good PSU, but still could not start the computer. The monitor does not show anything.
I am trying to figure out the best way to determine whether the CPU or the motherboard is gone. Unfortunately, I do not have another motherboard for Intel CPU. My other two PCs use AMD CPUs.

Any tip will be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
Some details:
With the original defective PSU which fan has stopped running, I could power on the PC with LEDs on and the CPU's fan spinning, but no display, no beeps. I feel the fan speed is low, but I am not 100% about this.

With the verified good PSU, it is pretty much the same: LEDs are on, CPU fan running, but no display, no beeps. The CPU fan speed may be a bit faster, but I am not 100% sure.

The PC is about 4 years old. This is my secondary PC, so I can take some time to deal with it.

Last edited:

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Alright, most likely it isn't the CPU just to clear things out here. The Power Supply is the best bet right here, what Power Supply do you have? If we figure out the brand and the model we would have a great lead to why your PC is not booting.

Reactions: zipswich

zipswich

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Thank you for lending a hand here.
I should have emphasized the PS replacement is proven good. It was working on another PC before is was used to replace the defective one, and it worked again after it failed to revive the PC, and put back to its original PC.

You might edit your post.
I think you replaced the PSU, not the CPU.

Intel processors are hard to damage, I suspect your motherboard.

In testing, I would work with your known good PSU.

Possibly some of your ram might have failed.
Try removing one ram stick to see if it will boot.
Then, the other. Your motherboard manual will tell you which slot to populate if you have only one stick.

Is it possible that your front panel start switch has come loose?
You can start the motherboard by shorting the two PWR pins on the front panel header on your motherboard.

Is the cpu fan plugged in to the cpu fan header? Could it have become dislodged?
Some motherboards will not start if it does not detect a cooling fan spinning at 500 rpm.

If you replace the motherboard, look for one with a Z97 chipset. You have the potential for some 20% better cpu performance via overclocking. Likely you will need to buy one used.

zipswich

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Thank you for the suggestions.
Yes, I meant PSU replacement. Sorry for the typo.
I am terribly sorry for missing some details. I will edit my original question to correct the typo add more details.

Let me post them here first:

With the original defective PSU which fan has stopped running, I could power on the PC with LEDs on and the CPU's fan spinning, but no display, no beeps. I feel the fan speed is low, but I am not 100% about this.

With the verified good PSU, it is pretty much the same: LEDs are on, CPU fan running, but no display, no beeps. The CPU fan speed may be a bit faster, but I am not 100% sure.

The PC is about 4 years old. This is my secondary PC, so I can take some time to deal with it.

CPU's are pretty hard to kill, motherboard on the other hand are not very hard to kill.

First make sure everything is plugged in properly, try different wall outlets as well.

Doesnt work? Then reset your CMOS, so unplug your pc, and remove the little battery for 5 minutes, then try to turn it on.

Doesn't work? Breadboard your PC. Unplug HDD, SSD, GPU, Drives, and anything that isn't needed to post. Keep one stick of ram in and try to turn it on. If that doesn't work try a different stick of ram.

Doesn't work? motherboard is probably dead.

Your motherboard is getting power as evidenced by the cooler fan spinning.

Your psu connectors are likely to be tight and ok since you have done them a couple of times.

It is unusual for ram to fail, but it does happen.

What is your graphics card, if any?

I come down to a motherboard failure as the likely cause.

zipswich

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Thank you all for the great tips.

I forgot to mention one more thing: I was not using a video card. I used P8H 77-m's on-board video it used to work perfectly.

I have put the replacement PSU back to its original PC that needs to run for a while. I will order a brand-view PSU to do the tests suggested by your folks. It will not be a waste because I should have a spare PSU anyway.

Do I need RAM to hear beeps? I thought an MB would beep if there were no RAMs or RAMs are defective.

TRENDING THREADS