Question How to tell why I'm losing Internet Connection

FidgetBox

Commendable
Apr 23, 2020
Hello,

So over the last week or two, I've been losing connection to the internet in my house intermittently. It'll take a few minutes then its back up and running. But as I work form home its rather annoying to deal with. I called my ISP and they basically said, well we can't help you because its not our Modem you're using. The modem is only a few months old and I personally doubt its the problem. So I wanted to turn to you folk to ask this question.

Is there a way for me to tell WHY I'm losing connection?

Basically, I want to be able to tell if it really is my modem or if it's my ISP and the connection itself. So here is some basic information if it helps.

Windows 10 Desktop
ISP: Cox Communications
Modem: Motorola MG8702 | DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem + Wi-Fi Router
Connection: Wifi & Wired
Number of Devices: 2 Computers Wired & 1 Smartphone Wifi + Alexa Devices all Wifi

Please let me know if you have any questions and any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Try the ip 192.168.100.1 that might give you access to the modem. It might have logs that show what is going down.

There really is no way to say for sure if the modem is defective or if there is some cable issue between the modem and the ISP node. If you can get into the modem you should be able to see the signal levels. Those you can look up recommended values. out of spec signal levels can cause the modem to drop.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
100.1 is not any sort of default router IP I've ever heard of.
0.1 , 1.1 , 2.1 , and 10.1 are all ones I know of but not 100.1

chances are your router IP is either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Furthermore, Cox is a kind of not very quality company with not very quality service.

One way to test if it is the router hardware itself or your ISP is to connect directly to the modem with an ethernet cable on a known good working machine without any network hardware/driver issues.

Don't use software like Killer LAN software or anything that is all "gamer" from anywhere either. Uninstall anything like that from your computer.

If the router is the modem because it's a combo unit and you just opted to not pay them for theirs, then my recommendation for testing is pointless and you'll need different hardware to be able to swap out to confirm.

100.1 is not any sort of default router IP I've ever heard of.
0.1 , 1.1 , 2.1 , and 10.1 are all ones I know of but not 100.1

chances are your router IP is either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Furthermore, Cox is a kind of not very quality company with not very quality service.

One way to test if it is the router hardware itself or your ISP is to connect directly to the modem with an ethernet cable on a known good working machine without any network hardware/driver issues.

Don't use software like Killer LAN software or anything that is all "gamer" from anywhere either. Uninstall anything like that from your computer.

If the router is the modem because it's a combo unit and you just opted to not pay them for theirs, then my recommendation for testing is pointless and you'll need different hardware to be able to swap out to confirm.

192.168.100.1 You should get out more, you know it's the default for Starlink...........:p

Reactions: Nathkrul

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
192.168.100.1 You should get out more, you know it's the default for Starlink...........:p

LOL, it's probably because I get out more that I am completely unaware of the unique IP for a satellite based internet service that has yet to catch on and become properly adopted and wide spread.
But jokes aside, now I know that it's Starlink related.

Kind of weird that someone that's been in this forum as long as they have with the stats they have on their profile would recommend the unique IP address of Starlink of all things for getting into a routers settings, especially when it was already stated that it's a bog standard DOCSIS combo unit with a cable internet provider.

LOL, it's probably because I get out more that I am completely unaware of the unique IP for a satellite based internet service that has yet to catch on and become properly adopted and wide spread.
But jokes aside, now I know that it's Starlink related.

Kind of weird that someone that's been in this forum as long as they have with the stats they have on their profile would recommend the unique IP address of Starlink of all things for getting into a routers settings, especially when it was already stated that it's a bog standard DOCSIS combo unit with a cable internet provider.
I didn't want to bore you with Motorola,Arris,Lenovo,Netronix,Planet and Zyxel.....but glad you could take a joke. 😷

Ralston18

Titan
FYI:

192.168.100.1 is a default IP that Motorola has used. One of serveral possibilities.

And the actual default IP can vary even within a product line. Plus many manufacturers use the same IP address for their router and/or modem/routers.

References:

https://www.wikihow.com/Access-a-Mo... modems can be,address bar and pressing enter.

https://router-network.com/motorola...the ip,default passwords for Motorola routers.

There are three ranges of private IP addresses available for small network use. 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 being one of the ranges.

Source:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

When troubleshooting connectivity issues knowing more about the host router' configuration is important.

And to do so you need to gain access to the router's configuration settings via the router's IP address along with the applicable login name and password.

Sometimes a factory reset is necessary meaning that the router (or modem/router) returns to its' default IP (192.168.100.1 being a likely possibility) along with login = "admin" and password = "password". Both of those can vary as well.

You need to start somewhere: 1921.168.100.1 being one place to start. I tend to start with 192.168.1.1 - not always right but a start.