[SOLVED] How to test a cpu

Aug 12, 2019
I have recently been building a new pc for my sister who is moving to college. Everything went smooth except when I tried booting it, the case would light up and immediately the light for the cpu status led on the motherboard would stay a solid red. It shouldn't be a compatibility issue. My brother and I are concerned that it is either the motherboard, or the cpu, (I really hope its not the motherboard). Is there a way I can test the cpu (i9) on my setup, which also has an i9, without breaking anything?

Thanks

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

As first port of call, please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model!

Testing a CPU can be done using a bootable Prime95 for a load test.
As for physical, not really, a visual inspection is the best port of call, also pay attention to CPU socket pins to ensure none are bent or contaminated.

Aug 12, 2019
Specs:
CPU: i9-9900k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi
GPU: None
Cooler: Corsair H100i
PSU: Corsair 750w Gold rated (I don't think this is the problem because all of the fans spin, the cooler turns on and I can hear the pump, and the lights light up)
Case: NZXT H500i
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB - 3000)

I think that's about it. Let me know if there's anything else I'm missing. Honestly, I'm guessing the problem is related to the motherboard, so I'll try and swap it at Microcenter to see if it fixes the issue. If not, I guess it has to be the actual CPU?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Solution