How to test a graphics card without a MOBO

Bahij Mikati

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Hey guys , i bought 2 gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming for sli from amazon but currently i don't have a mobo to test it out other than an old mobo in an old case, and i don't have a friend who i can try it with him since i am not in my country atm, so what should i do to test the gpus ? i really need to test them before going to my home country since i can't send them back from my country to amazon if it was DOA . Note: i also bought a supernova g2 1000w psu with them and i tried and its working like a charm but i still have the gpus to try , my old pc has a small case i would have tried it on it but it doesnt fit any help?thanks a lot.

Solution
Yes, you can rebuild your PC outside the case and try it out.
Just make sure that you use an anti-static surface on which to put the motherboard.

Usually it`s recommended to put the motherboard on top of the anti-static bag in which a new mobo comes, and that on the box from the mobo.

But since this is an old build, you will probably have to find a different solution.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Mmm - bit of a sticky situation to be honest.

I would try and find a interdependent PC repair shop - one of the small time highstreet type. Ask them to test them for you and pay them some cash? Wouldnt take them long so i can't imagine it would be expensive.

Pr3di

Honorable
Yes, you can rebuild your PC outside the case and try it out.
Just make sure that you use an anti-static surface on which to put the motherboard.

Usually it`s recommended to put the motherboard on top of the anti-static bag in which a new mobo comes, and that on the box from the mobo.

But since this is an old build, you will probably have to find a different solution.

Solution