Question How to test firewall?

Acronis

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 15, 2009
Hi, recently I had a virus in my PC RelevantKnowledge and maybe (dont know yet) some other virus that came with same infected file.
What happened was that virus completely disabled Windows Firewall service so firewall stopped working.
As soon as I noticed that I installed ZoneAlarm firewall. Turns out this firewall is slowing down windows too much, so I fixed Windows Firewall and uninstalled ZoneAlarm.
I also tried Comodo but it is too annoying to use.
I use win10 Pro 64bit freshly updated, Ryzen 1800X, 16GB.

What is the best way to test firewall, is this site enough for test https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
it show that all is safe.

What about hardware firewall, are they recommended for home PC?

Is there any other firewall or tool to keep windows protected, if it is not that heavy on system or that annoying as Zonealarm and Comodo. Is Netlimiter any good?
I need something else for protection if that situation I described happens again.

Ralston18

Titan
"Something else for protection" is understood with respect to your overall question/post.

However, I submit that having multiple backups, verified recoverable, and stored in different locations are also forms of protection that you should have. Clones, images, etc.. Plus the recommended recovery drives, USB sticks, etc...

Eventually there will be some breakdown in or breach of the firewall no matter what you do.

Be ready for that.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Hi, recently I had a virus in my PC RelevantKnowledge and maybe (dont know yet) some other virus that came with same infected file.
What happened was that virus completely disabled Windows Firewall service so firewall stopped working.
As soon as I noticed that I installed ZoneAlarm firewall. Turns out this firewall is slowing down windows too much, so I fixed Windows Firewall and uninstalled ZoneAlarm.
I also tried Comodo but it is too annoying to use.
I use win10 Pro 64bit freshly updated, Ryzen 1800X, 16GB.

What is the best way to test firewall, is this site enough for test https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
it show that all is safe.

What about hardware firewall, are they recommended for home PC?

Is there any other firewall or tool to keep windows protected, if it is not that heavy on system or that annoying as Zonealarm and Comodo. Is Netlimiter any good?
I need something else for protection if that situation I described happens again.

GRC is a solid test , I use it once in awhile.

Hardware FW is best, coz it doesn't slow down anything, and protects the whole LAN, not just one machine.

Having said that, nobody frontal-attacks you, all they have to do is to entice you to click a fake link and BAM! they are in. To protect against that, backup-backup-backup, Image backup for your OS can truly saves you, but I know you don't want to believe it/too lazy.

TRENDING THREADS