[SOLVED] How to test GTX 1050 TI without a PC and little to no money

YouTownsPerson

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
I have a fried PC and a maybe fried GTX 1050 TI, and I don't want to go all out on a new PC until I know if it works or not. I called 3 repair shops, and none of them had a test bench, nor were they willing to hook up a PCI-E extension cable from one of the PCs they had. I have maybe 100 dollars to spend. What should I do?

Solution
The HP RP-5800 comes back as a "mini tower/sff" type build designed for POS systems. I can only assume you had the half height 'mini' style 1050ti in there?
Did you happen to upgrade the power supply before adding the GPU?

Have you tried a CMOS reset on it, without the GPU inside? Sometimes these business class PC will have a self test button on the PSU as well, does your's and have you tried it?
I have a fried PC and a maybe fried GTX 1050 TI, and I don't want to go all out on a new PC until I know if it works or not. I called 3 repair shops, and none of them had a test bench, nor were they willing to hook up a PCI-E extension cable from one of the PCs they had. I have maybe 100 dollars to spend. What should I do?
Ask a friend if you can swap their gpu out of their system for a couple minutes to test yours then put theirs back in

Reactions: spentshells

YouTownsPerson

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
Ask a friend if you can swap their gpu out of their system for a couple minutes to test yours then put theirs back in

Most of my family and friends are all Mac users, and the ones who use Windows have laptops

The thing that should be of concern to you regarding this (and the reason the shops won't do it) is that you risk blowing up a system with a "maybe" blown up GPU.

What happened with the current system? What is it?

Don't know what really happened to it, it just stopped booting, and when I plug it in, it beeps and blinks like it was trying to initialize the system and failed. It's an HP rp-5800.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The HP RP-5800 comes back as a "mini tower/sff" type build designed for POS systems. I can only assume you had the half height 'mini' style 1050ti in there?

Have you tried a CMOS reset on it, without the GPU inside? Sometimes these business class PC will have a self test button on the PSU as well, does your's and have you tried it?

Solution

YouTownsPerson

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020

The PSU is an odd L shape, and un-upgradable. I was told that I should be fine.

Yes, I tried CMOS, to no avail.

There is no self-test button.

I believe this system to be 100% dead. I'm open to suggestions, but I don't believe they'll do much good.

The PSU is an odd L shape, and un-upgradable. I was told that I should be fine.

Yes, I tried CMOS, to no avail.

There is no self-test button.

I believe this system to be 100% dead. I'm open to suggestions, but I don't believe they'll do much good.
How did you reset the bios?
Did you unplug the PSU, remove the lithium battery from the mobo, and with both removed hold the power button on the case for 30s x2s? After which reseat the battery plug psu back in and try to boot system? Only "real" way to actually reset bios. Other ways do work 85% of the time but not always...

The thing that should be of concern to you regarding this (and the reason the shops won't do it) is that you risk blowing up a system with a "maybe" blown up GPU.

What happened with the current system? What is it?

How do you know the pc is fried?
it might just be the power supply - this would be great for you.
No power at all?
Does your processor have integrated graphics?

tecmo34

Administrator
I think your system is fine, except your PSU. It is rate at 240W and the minimum value for the 1050 TI is 300W, so it was too much power for your power supply (plus the PSU in that system are of poor quality). I had an old dell that I installed an 8800 GT back in the day and it blow that PSU, as the card was too power for the cheap PSU. The manual talks about diagnostic codes to review that and see what they are saying.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842154.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/HP-659246-001-power-supply-assembly/dp/B00B10LR5U

YouTownsPerson

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
How do you know the pc is fried?
it might just be the power supply - this would be great for you.
No power at all?
Does your processor have integrated graphics?

Are you saying the PSU is fried and not the PC?

Yes, it has Intel graphics, though I have the GPU removed currently.

I think your system is fine, except your PSU. It is rate at 240W and the minimum value for the 1050 TI is 300W, so it was too much power for your power supply (plus the PSU in that system are of poor quality). I had an old dell that I installed an 8800 GT back in the day and it blow that PSU, as the card was too power for the cheap PSU. The manual talks about diagnostic codes to review that and see what they are saying.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842154.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/HP-659246-001-power-supply-assembly/dp/B00B10LR5U
I don't have another PSU, but I'll obtain one and let you know.