How to test if a CPU is dying?

BajungaDustin

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
The processor in question is an i7 6700 (no k) intel processor
My mobo is MSI z170A Gaming M7

So there are way to many factors that go into this. I have been troubleshooting this for 8 hours now.

What Happened

I turned my computer on it was randomly off for whatever reason. after loading windows 10... Discord started an update. About halfway through the update i got BSOD - WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

I did some research which suggested the error mostly comes from overclocking which i can not do with my processor so i thought maybe Discord caused the error. I then noticed discord was no longer installed and tried to reinstall and got a missive java error. So then i restarted and was no longer able to get windows to load. So i reinstalled windows and halfway through the process of updating my drivers and such i got another BSOD

What I have tried so far that did NOT work

• Resetting CMOS
    Reinstalled Windows again - BSOD 10 seconds into install
    Updated Bios Firmware
    Pulled spare hard-drives
    pulled graphics card
    pulled extra USB board
    unplugged every cable and plugged necessary ones back in
    unplugged every USB except mouse and keyboard
    unplugged mouse and keyboard
    Downgraded BIOS firmware
    pulled RAM sticks and tried one at a time

Finally i removed my M.2 Hard-drive and put a Linux live USB in. It failed to load. i tried multiple times and kept trying to read what it said until on about the 15th time i caught This Screen Shot.

Now I am not the best at Linux i only dabble. But i saw it reference CPU 6 and words like RIP, Tainted, fatal exception, and kernel panic.

So i assumed there was something wrong with my CPU. But i didn't know how to test for it. So i decided to disable hyper-threading and set it to only allow 1 core and wouldn't you know it.. fired right up into Linux.

so i replaced my M.2 and sure enough it loaded up windows perfectly.

so then i tried enabling 4 cores with NO hyper-threading but i got BSOD (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION)

I basically tried every combination and the only 2 combos that work are with 1 or 2 cores active both without hyper-threading enabled.

So what can i do to really find out what is exactly going wrong. I know a CPU going belly up is RARE.. i have been building computers for 20 years and never had one actually die on me. But i would really like to make sure before i toss out $340 on a new one.

Any help would be amazing.

BajungaDustin

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

I'm not entirely sure where that setting is. I've got v droop setting but only option is enthusiastic +100%

BajungaDustin

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

I dont have a setting called voltage bump. im assuming that you just mean.. "up the voltage".. but what setting. I have several voltage settings.. Core, GT, SA, IO, PLL SFR. I tried the enthusiastic but it didnt work.

BajungaDustin

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
for some reason... after 11 hours of messing with this.. and after simply running a memtest86... its now booting up with all 4 cores enables AND hyperthreading turned on.

seriously?

im about to do a CPU stress test