How to test new build for performance?

12pak

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Just did a re-build after a few years and I'm not sure how to go about finding out if everything is performing as it should. Here is the build:

Strix Z370-E Gaming
Intel i5-8600K
Strix 1070ti A8 Gaming
2 x 8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
Samsung 850 evo
Windows 10 64 bit home
Corsair H100i RGB Pro
Corsair HX850i PSU

Only thing's I've played on it so far are Destiny 2, and Conan Exiles. It seems to be working fine, but how to safely benchmark it to see if everything is performing as it should?

Thanks,

Edited to correct several Typo's. Sheesh, my fingers are dyslexic this morning.

Solution

Firestrike is one of the current 3DMark benchmarks, there are several in the package including Time Spy. If you own 3DMark then I'd suggest installing Steam and logging onto your Steam account to download it. If it doesn't then:

https://www.3dmark.com/

There's a free one available, or get the $29 home-user one if you want. Even if you don't like the BM's these still have some great demonstrators.

For more...

Probably easiest, and assuming gaming performance is what you're looking for, go look for 3DMark. You'll get a good comparison online but do keep in mind you'll be compared against crazy overclocked systems so be reasonable about expectations. Your score will be plotted on a curve of thousands of similar systems (CPU, GPU) so you can see where yours fits in the population. If your score is well up a big peak, or past it, you'll have a good idea it's performing correctly.

For CPU performance alone go get Cinebench. Search online for CB scores of your processor, the comparisons provided are hopelessly dated.

There are others but probably more esoteric and highly variable so hard to compare. A good one is to set up a moderate running Handbrake encode and time it. That's really good to cross-check performance after tweaking things, but hard to compare to others online.

12pak

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

Thanks for the tips. I am a little familiar with the 3D mark stuff, but it's been a few years since I used it. I think I actually own one of the older versions on Steam, Firestrike, I think? But that was from like 2013 or something like that. What would be the current 3Dmark that I should be looking for?

Firestrike is one of the current 3DMark benchmarks, there are several in the package including Time Spy. If you own 3DMark then I'd suggest installing Steam and logging onto your Steam account to download it. If it doesn't then:

https://www.3dmark.com/

There's a free one available, or get the $29 home-user one if you want. Even if you don't like the BM's these still have some great demonstrators.

For more demonstrators that really tax 3D hardware go to Guru3d:

https://www.guru3d.com/

and look for Heaven, Valley and Superposition demonstrators. Superposition in 4K absolutely kills most any card short of a 2080ti.

Solution

12pak

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
In Timespy I got better than 66% of similar systems, and in firestrike, better than 88% of similar systems, so I guess that sounds about right for my gear for not being overclocked.

Thanks again!