[SOLVED] how to test Panasonic and Sony CCTV cameras for basic functions?

Ksingh707

Commendable
Sep 5, 2021
Hello, I have a Panasonic WV-CW864A CCTV camera and I need to test it to see if it is functioning prooperly, According to the manual i need a certain switch of some sort to see if the camera is functioning. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a universal switch or something that I can use to see if different cctv cameras are working. Or is there only specific switches for specific cameras? If anyone has any information on this I would really appreciate it thanks.

Solution
For basic seeing a video you need to provide 24VAC and an appropriate connector to convert it's video out to an RCA connector. That should be enough, alone, to see if it outputs video. A BNC to RCA should suffice.

I note that there are quite a few other more advanced controls including movement and zoom available for this so for those functions to operate you would need some manner of control hardware/software.

I used to use a device called a ToteVision for testing cameras while at the device. It is basically nothing but a small screen with video input.

Connections - Panasonic WV-CW864A Operating Instructions Manual [Page 54] | ManualsLib
Hello, I have a Panasonic WV-CW864A CCTV camera and I need to test it to see if it is functioning prooperly, According to the manual i need a certain switch of some sort to see if the camera is functioning. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a universal switch or something that I can use to see if different cctv cameras are working. Or is there only specific switches for specific cameras? If anyone has any information on this I would really appreciate it thanks.
Do you only have the camera or do you also have the control panel? If only the camera, it's gonna be tough to get it working.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
For basic seeing a video you need to provide 24VAC and an appropriate connector to convert it's video out to an RCA connector. That should be enough, alone, to see if it outputs video. A BNC to RCA should suffice.

I note that there are quite a few other more advanced controls including movement and zoom available for this so for those functions to operate you would need some manner of control hardware/software.

I used to use a device called a ToteVision for testing cameras while at the device. It is basically nothing but a small screen with video input.

Connections - Panasonic WV-CW864A Operating Instructions Manual [Page 54] | ManualsLib

Reactions: Ksingh707
Solution

Ksingh707

Commendable
Sep 5, 2021
Do you only have the camera or do you also have the control panel? If only the camera, it's gonna be tough to get it working.

Thank you so much for the information, this was very helpful.