[SOLVED] How to test stability in a system?

Geral

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
Hello there!
I would like to ask all of you how should i test for stability on a new system?.
I’ve always heard it is necessary to test a new system to ensure it can handle heavy loads and to have confidence in the stability of the system.
Unfortanaly i can find a begginers/intemediate guide to do all of this, so i ask you guys for your expertise. Some of the questions i have:
  • How should i do this?
  • What software should i use to test the stability of a new system?
  • What parts should i test in the system? Cpu and Gpu i guess are the most important, but do you stress test also the ram or the disks?
  • Is the same software used to test each part, or should i get a different software for each part?.
  • Is it the same to test for stability and to stress test? Should i do both?
  • How long should i leave the test going? Does that depend on the software or in the system?
  • Is there a negative effect in testing for stability or stress testing a system? Can it cause harm to the system? Does it cause wear and tear? Can it cause something worse?
  • How about benchmarks, i guess these softwares provide this information?
  • Should i test it at idle, normal load and full load?
Thanks for reading all of this and thanks to anyone who would answer this.

P.S. If there is a guide you know, please link it up.

Reactions: Geral
Solution

Geral

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
This is a great guide, and gives you pretty much everything you need:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

Defo worth a read, and then another and another. Don't dive in too fast, take your time and get it right.

The guide is actually an Overclocking guide, but really tells you how to test for stability in great detail. Stock or OC, this guide is good.

Thanks keith! Great guide!

It has almost everything i need!. But it doesnt speak about graphic cards. Is there another guide for that? Something to complement that other guide?

Still, thanks for the link! It is exactly what i've been looking for!

Thanks keith! Great guide!

It has almost everything i need!. But it doesnt speak about graphic cards. Is there another guide for that? Something to complement that other guide?

Still, thanks for the link! It is exactly what i've been looking for!

Yeah, no bother. You're very welcome! :)

For the GPU, thankfully it's a little easier. You can simply watch a number of guides on Youtube. As long as you follow them exactly, and test properly you can get a solid stable OC in 1 hr.

Something like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1dGwFOdFLI

It's pretty straight forward and easy to follow. Another one is, if you have an Nvidia card (RTX) or an Asus Card with GPU Tweak 2. You can use OC Scanner. It's a really handy tool built into MSI Afterburner and GPU Tweak. You simply click the button, and the software will test and OC your GPU to within an inch of it's life. And it works a treat.

Geral

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
Yeah, no bother. You're very welcome! :)

For the GPU, thankfully it's a little easier. You can simply watch a number of guides on Youtube. As long as you follow them exactly, and test properly you can get a solid stable OC in 1 hr.

Something like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1dGwFOdFLI

It's pretty straight forward and easy to follow. Another one is, if you have an Nvidia card (RTX) or an Asus Card with GPU Tweak 2. You can use OC Scanner. It's a really handy tool built into MSI Afterburner and GPU Tweak. You simply click the button, and the software will test and OC your GPU to within an inch of it's life. And it works a treat.

Hey thank you very much! Ill watch some of those videos! Thanks

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

TRENDING THREADS