[SOLVED] How to test usb hub speed?

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
I am planning to connect an external drive to a usb hub instead of the usb port on my motherboard because the ports are already populated. I want to test the speed of the usb hub when compared to a normal usb port and I want to test if my usb hub is powered.
How can I test the speed of my usb hub?
How can I test if my usb hub is power or not? (I don't want to know by seeing if it has a power port because it is glued)

Solution
Thank you for the reply. I forgot to ask if the usb hub is powered or not and how much power it can output per usb port?

Also, which method of connecting it to my computer would you recommend? I have 3 devices one uses 0.30A, one uses 5V 120mA and one uses 5V 500mA. Would you recommend connecting in this method: usb 3.0 port > usb hub > devices or this method? : usb 10gig port > usb c to usb 3.0 adaptor > usb hub > usb devices (I don't have to connect the 0.30A device if I use the second method)
Ok so now I see the hub does have a power port, shown in the last picture here and as you previously mentioned the android cable:

https://www.ipohonline.biz/usb-ven-chlbd

So just connect up an android cable to the hub, also...

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
I usually copy a file over to a usb drive, then expand the "more details" to show the data transfer rate graph - do one before and one after, maybe take screenshots of each to compare side-by-side, one without hub and one with hub
Thank you for your reply, I will try this later. The model of the usb hub is Vention CHL usb hub. Is this a good usb hub?
I have also noticed that the chip of the usb hub is a GL3510, is this good? Does the type of the chip affect performance?
How can I see if the usb hub is powered without seeing if it has a power port?

That hub looks pretty decent, a quick search for specs shows this:

Brand: Vention
Name: 4-port USB 3.0 Hub
Model: CHL
Black Interface: USB3.0 Male, USB3.0 Female, Mirco-USB Female
Interface technique: Nickel plated
Transmission speed: 5Gbps
Conductor: Copper tin
Case: ABS Chip: GL3510
Shield: Aluminum foil Jacket: PVC Awg: 26 + 30AWG Od: 4.5mm Length: 0.15 / 0.5 / 1m

Last edited:

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
That hub looks pretty decent, a quick search for specs shows this:

Brand: Vention
Name: 4-port USB 3.0 Hub
Model: CHL
Black Interface: USB3.0 Male, USB3.0 Female, Mirco-USB Female
Interface technique: Nickel plated
Transmission speed: 5Gbps
Conductor: Copper tin
Case: ABS Chip: GL3510
Shield: Aluminum foil Jacket: PVC Awg: 26 + 30AWG Od: 4.5mm Length: 0.15 / 0.5 / 1m
Thank you for your reply and evaluation of the specs for the usb hub.
May I ask a question? Is the usb hub powered? If so, how much power goes into it?

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
I was just looking that up :)

Since I don't see an external power supply, USB 3.0 can deliver 1.5 A or 7.5 W max, so keep that in mind when you connect devices that are not self-powered...
I have just visited the manufacturer's website and they say this about the usb hub: "8TB Hard Drive for Easy Reading With power supply port, external high-capacity hard disk of more than 1TB, only need Android data cable for power supply" This seems to suggest that the usb hub is powered but the product description says that it can output a maximum of 900mA (maybe that number is for without the power cable attached?). And it also says that it can use TWO 2.5 inch ssds that are 1TB each in without the power supply.

I am planning to connect an external drive to a usb hub instead of the usb port on my motherboard because the ports are already populated. I want to test the speed of the usb hub when compared to a normal usb port and I want to test if my usb hub is powered.
How can I test the speed of my usb hub?
How can I test if my usb hub is power or not? (I don't want to know by seeing if it has a power port because it is glued)
Connect the ext disk direct to the pc and run a speed test.
Then connect the ext disk to the hub and run a speed test,
Compare the numbers.

There are a few speed test try 'as ssd'.

I have just visited the manufacturer's website and they say this about the usb hub: "8TB Hard Drive for Easy Reading With power supply port, external high-capacity hard disk of more than 1TB, only need Android data cable for power supply" This seems to suggest that the usb hub is powered but the product description says that it can output a maximum of 900mA (maybe that number is for without the power cable attached?). And it also says that it can use TWO 2.5 inch ssds that are 1TB each in without the power supply.
Ah yes I should have looked that up the power specs in more detail, USB 3.0 nominally delivers 900mA and for dedicated charging ports then it's 1.5A / 7.5W - good blurb about it here:

https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/b...and-data-transfer-rates-for-the-usb-standards

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
Ah yes I should have looked that up the power specs in more detail, USB 3.0 nominally delivers 900mA and for dedicated charging ports then it's 1.5A / 7.5W - good blurb about it here:

https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/b...and-data-transfer-rates-for-the-usb-standards
Thank you for the reply. I forgot to ask if the usb hub is powered or not and how much power it can output per usb port?

Also, which method of connecting it to my computer would you recommend? I have 3 devices one uses 0.30A, one uses 5V 120mA and one uses 5V 500mA. Would you recommend connecting in this method: usb 3.0 port > usb hub > devices or this method? : usb 10gig port > usb c to usb 3.0 adaptor > usb hub > usb devices (I don't have to connect the 0.30A device if I use the second method)

Last edited:

Ok so now I see the hub does have a power port, shown in the last picture here and as you previously mentioned the android cable:

So just connect up an android cable to the hub, also known as "micro-usb" or "micro-b" connector, that should bring it up to the charging spec of 1.5A / 7.5W and allow all your devices

similar cable to this one, maybe familiar if you already have an older android phone:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/6ft-Micro-USB-Data-Charger-Cable-for-Samsung-Galaxy-Core-i8270/894351861

Since all your devices total will be 920mA, simply do not connect all of them until you plug in the micro-usb charging cable to get full power, and you are good to go!

Solution

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021

So just connect up an android cable to the hub, also known as "micro-usb" or "micro-b" connector, that should bring it up to the charging spec of 1.5A / 7.5W and allow all your devices

similar cable to this one, maybe familiar if you already have an older android phone:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/6ft-Micro-USB-Data-Charger-Cable-for-Samsung-Galaxy-Core-i8270/894351861

Since all your devices total will be 920mA, simply do not connect all of them until you plug in the micro-usb charging cable to get full power, and you are good to go!
Thank you, I talked to a customer support of the manufacturer and they said that the input of the micro-usb port is 500mA.
Also, which method of connecting to the computer would you suggest? : usb 3.0 port > usb hub > devices or this method? : usb 10gig port > usb c to usb 3.0 adaptor > usb hub > usb devices (I don't have to connect the 0.30A device if I use the second method)

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021

Can I just connect a power brick to the cable and connect the cable to the usb hub? If so, should I turn it off when I don't use it or can I keep it connected 24/7?

Best bet just do usb 3.0 port > usb hub > devices, less connections are best - and to power up the hub:

-a power brick with the micro-usb connector connected to the hub
-a USB charger + micro-usb cable (same as the android phones come with) connected to the hub
-usb2 / micro-usb (just the cable that comes with the phone) connected to another usb port (not on the hub lol) connected to the hub

either one of those will work nicely since usb2 gives .5A power just as well

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
Best bet just do usb 3.0 port > usb hub > devices, less connections are best - and to power up the hub:

-a power brick with the micro-usb connector connected to the hub
-a USB charger + micro-usb cable (same as the android phones come with) connected to the hub
-usb2 / micro-usb (just the cable that comes with the phone) connected to another usb port (not on the hub lol) connected to the hub

either one of those will work nicely since usb2 gives .5A power just as well
Thanks you for your reply. Can I keep it connected to power 24/7?