How To Track Devices On Home Network - Remote Router Access - Sniffing

ma3ndysalfa

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I will try to explain what I have, what I need, and how I plan to do it in full detail.

I'm trying to access my home router from a remote location.
I have the user and password of the router and physical access to the router.
I have an internet connection in my remote location where I can access the home router via internet.
The Router I am using is the Huawei B593 4G Router (Home Router).

I want to capture, save, and decrypt traffic/data from the home router at my remote location.
I will most probably be using Wireshark.

There will be only one device connected to the home router, this device will be an Iphone 4g.
On this device the apps that will be used are google chrome, whatsapp, Kik, Tango, BBM, and instagram.

Questions:
1) How do I access my home router from a remote location ? (in this case Laptop)
2) The iphone will be using the routers internet connection, So will Wireshark be able capture, save, and decrypt traffic/data that is being sent to and from this device ?
3) How do I use wireshark to capture, save, and decrypt the traffic/data that I need ?

Problems:
I have never used Wireshark before.

Thanks for the help.

Solution
1. you have to set the router up to allow outside connections, different on every router so check the manual.

If you leave a computer on you could remote desktop using free software, if you can't capture over the net.

allennnn

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
1. you have to set the router up to allow outside connections, different on every router so check the manual.

If you leave a computer on you could remote desktop using free software, if you can't capture over the net.

Solution

ma3ndysalfa

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Thanks Allennnn,

But I don't have a desktop at home and I need to take my laptop for work. This is why the monitoring needs to be done remotely from my laptop.

So leaving the computer on at home is not really and option for me.

Do you have any other suggestions ?

Likely not possible with the router you have. Even if you were sitting in the house you likely could not capture the traffic.

You will need a more advanced device that can capture the data and then use something like a VPN to deliver it to you remotely.

This is far from a beginners project

ma3ndysalfa

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
The router comes from my internet service provider.
Link to router page on internet service provider website: https://www.kw.zain.com/kw/af/core/templates/devices.do%3bjsessionid=C88BEE9C907AD794B7F5FEDAF283C92C.node5?channelId=-10644&selectedChannels=-10644,-12472,-8155,-8153&lang=en#url=channelId%5E-15214%7Cchid%5E1%7CselectedTabId%5E1%7Clanguage%5Een

My plan is to connect to the home router remotely from my laptop via internet, then from there use wireshark to monitor the activity. If its not possible to do that, then what do you suggest ?

sg4rb0

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
For the remote access, read the manual. If it's capable, there will probably been a ticket box or something.

For the capture, you will need a packet capture box somewhere. You have no other option, but to have a packet capture box somewhere. I can't see why you are happy to leave a router on all day, but not a desktop PC... If you're worried about power and stuff, it might be worth investing in a Rasberry Pi and putting a packet capture software on there.

For decrypting Wi-Fi data on Wireshark, use this link below.

http://wiki.wireshark.org/HowToDecrypt802.11

How much money are you willing to spend. No router can really run wireshark, its not like they have hard drives to store and analyze the captured data. Although in theory you can decrypt wireless packets when you know the preshared key the fine print says you must capture the 4 handshake messages at the start of the session. So if a device would associate with the router and then stay on for a long time you likely would not have been capturing long enough to get the handshake or if you have the handshake messages after a few hours the capture files will be so big you can no longer process them in a reasonable time.

So maybe you could buy a pc and capture the wireless data but I would not expect good results. Your key problem is mircosoft has disabled the command that put wireless adapters in promiscuous mode. Like the standard put your head in the sand approach they figure that if they disable it then hackers can't hack forgetting that most real hackers have no issues loading a linux based OS. So you will need get a linux based OS and learn how to use it. You also need the proper wireless card and the proper driver that can put the card into promiscuous mode. You need to study airmon-ng since this is the basis for all the capture software that most people use.

You have a very long way to go in the learning department to accomplish what you want.

sg4rb0

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

He'd need about 4 commands on a linux box to capture that traffic. It's not hard

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Since port mirroring is no available then the next best thing is buy your own router. Put a cheap ass hub between the modem from your ISP and your own router. Then plug a PC in it with a hard drive to save everything. Make everyone use your router for internet access Set the ISP modem up for access to the PC attached to the hub and start sniffing...Old school but it'll work. If anyone asks what is up with the hub and PC, lie to them and tell them it's a Linux Firewall and it protects everyone. No one will touch it and you will have access from anywhere in the world...till your IP changes. Then all you would do is call the remote location what their IP is by going to whatismyip.com.....

If this is over a relationship, dump this person if you are that desperate to track their every move and yes I've seen friends do dumber things!!!

cindy qian

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Hello!
There are no upgraded versions.If you really want to access your home router from a remote location .I suggest that you can buy a a original B593 Huawei antenna! May be it can help you.

cindy qian

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Hello!
There are no upgraded versions.If you really want to access your home router from a remote location .I suggest that you can buy a a original B593 Huawei antenna! May be it can help you.