News How to Transfer a Windows 10 or 11 License to Another PC

BTM18

Commendable
May 27, 2021
I have a full retail version of 10 on my old pc. Built new pc. Installed 11. It never asked for key. I now have fully activated 11 on new pc, for free.
Ya sure you need to do any of this?

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
All my windows versions I've paid for were always Full Retail, since windows 7, and I have 4 systems, the oldest being a windows 7-upgraded to 10, windows 8-upgraded to 10, and a retail Win10 home retail, and my newest build win10 pro retail, so I should be able to use that old win7 or any of the other versions full retail keys for an even newer build if i wanted to and retire my oldest 15yr old system with win7 on it. I should hope since all my versions are full retail. I very highly doubt I'd upgrade any of my newer systems to 11, I want a desktop not a phone.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022
The transfer of digital key in this how-to is basically GARBAGE! DO NOT remove the device from the account until you have activated the key in the new PC by going through the troubleshoot step. I removed the device from the account and I am not able to transfer the key because it is not linked to the account anymore. I am able to see other device options that I haven't removed. Now I am on a call with the support agent trying to retrieve it. DO NOT follow this guide.

TryHard4ever

Prominent
Oct 27, 2022
The transfer of digital key in this how-to is basically GARBAGE! DO NOT remove the device from the account until you have activated the key in the new PC by going through the troubleshoot step. I removed the device from the account and I am not able to transfer the key because it is not linked to the account anymore. I am able to see other device options that I haven't removed. Now I am on a call with the support agent trying to retrieve it. DO NOT follow this guide.
Hi sir, thank you for sharing this vital information! Can you clarify your experience in detail again with everything you went through? It may help some new users like me who wants to upgrade to a new CPU/motherboard but is unsure of how to Transfer a Digital Windows 10 or 11 License to Another PC using the correct method . You are saying you can actually transfer the existing digital CD-Key to another new PC (after PC upgrade) without removing the existing digital CD-Key from old device in microsoft account? In other words, using the existing Win cd key in both PC devices (old & new) and go back later in MS account and unlink it from the old device after inputting existing cd-key in the new device (new PC)? Sorry if my words confuse you!