[SOLVED] How to transfer between two SSDs without having them both plugged in

Jun 19, 2019
Sorry if this has been posted before but I did some searching and couldn't find any answers. I recently purchased an SSD and have been using it as my primary boot drive. Unfortunately, it has started failing and I need to return it. I have to send the drive in for return before I will receive my replacement back. I would like to be able to somehow transfer my data over to the replacement drive but I do not know how to do this since I will not have both drives available at the same time. Is there anyway to somehow create a system image that can be stored on a second drive then load that onto the replacement? If there is free software to do this, I would prefer that, but I am also willing to spend some money on this.

Solution
My drive is still mostly readable yes, I do have several backups either way. So using Macrium I could create a system image, store it on an external drive, get the new drive, and then flash the image to the new drive correct? Thanks for the help, this sort of thing is precisely what I was looking for.
Yes.
Create that Macrium Rescue USB.
Once you get the new drive and install it, boot from that RescueUSB.

It will give you the functionality to select the Image you created, and the target drive to apply it to.

It works 100%, I've done this exactly, for the same reason...a dead drive.
Jun 19, 2019
Create an Image? Assuming just for storage and not using it in the interim, absolutely.

Assuming the drive can still be read, Macrium Reflect does this easily.

If the drive is only marginally readable, suggest you create a Macrium Rescue USB on some other system. Boot from that, and make an Image of your faulty SSD off to some other drive of sufficient size.
My drive is still mostly readable yes, I do have several backups either way. So using Macrium I could create a system image, store it on an external drive, get the new drive, and then flash the image to the new drive correct? Thanks for the help, this sort of thing is precisely what I was looking for.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes.
Create that Macrium Rescue USB.
Once you get the new drive and install it, boot from that RescueUSB.

It will give you the functionality to select the Image you created, and the target drive to apply it to.

It works 100%, I've done this exactly, for the same reason...a dead drive.

Solution