[SOLVED] How to transfer everything from HDD to new SSD

pati_yeet

Prominent
Dec 12, 2018
I am going to upgrade my old hard drive to a samsung 960 evo ssd (2.5” version) but I don’t know how I’m going to transfer everything over including the OS to the new SSD. The HDD has 1tb of storage and the SSD has 500gb of storage. I heard you can clone but is there any other way?

Solution
You can clone, but you'd have to reduce the used partition size to <500GB so you can clone in it's entirety.

The best route though, honestly, is a clean OS install onto the SSD, backup your data from the HDD and format it so you have bulk mechanical storage.

While a clone can work, you take the good/bad/ugly (ie registry errors, driver conflicts & the like)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You can clone, but you'd have to reduce the used partition size to <500GB so you can clone in it's entirety.

The best route though, honestly, is a clean OS install onto the SSD, backup your data from the HDD and format it so you have bulk mechanical storage.

While a clone can work, you take the good/bad/ugly (ie registry errors, driver conflicts & the like)

Solution

pati_yeet

Prominent
Dec 12, 2018
If I’d went with the other option with installing an OS on the SSD, would I have to get a new OS or could I use the one on my HDD? If that won’t work then I’ll have to clone the HDD.

USAFRet

Titan

Critical question - How much space is actually consumed on your current C drive?
If it is under 400GB, then you can clone the whole thing over.
Specific cloning steps to follow if desired.

If you instead want to do a clean install on the new SSD, read this:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10