[SOLVED] How to transfer files between two computers on the same ethernet network

Jun 4, 2021
I have a PC and a laptop, they are far from each other, how can I transfer files efficiently between them if I have them connected to the same router (not directly together)?

Solution
Two windows pcs, right? Click "file explorer" and in the search bar, type the IP address of the remote PC with this syntax "\\x.x.x.x\c$" where the x.x.x.x is your remote PC's IP address. Probably something like 192.168.1.25 or whatever. the "c" is the drive letter you want to access, most of the time it will be the "c" drive unless you have a second hard drive. The $ is for admin privs. Simply navigate to the file you want and drag and drop, or copy paste and you're done. You will be promted for remote PC's creds (whatever you login to that PC with username and password).

To find the IP address, if you don't know, click "start", type "cmd" hit enter. Then type "ipconfig". You'll see "IPv4...
Jun 4, 2021
It's called a network share.
Easy as pie to setup.
I tried this, but I am not sure how to add my other laptop, tried typing in the Microsoft account that is assigned for it but an error message appeared showing that Windows was unable to find the email.

I tried this, but I am not sure how to add my other laptop, tried typing in the Microsoft account that is assigned for it but an error message appeared showing that Windows was unable to find the email.
You don't put the microsoft account.
You put the windows account.

I would suggest just making an admin account and making it's credentials:
name: admin
password: admin

Google how to make an admin account on your windows machine.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Two windows pcs, right? Click "file explorer" and in the search bar, type the IP address of the remote PC with this syntax "\\x.x.x.x\c$" where the x.x.x.x is your remote PC's IP address. Probably something like 192.168.1.25 or whatever. the "c" is the drive letter you want to access, most of the time it will be the "c" drive unless you have a second hard drive. The $ is for admin privs. Simply navigate to the file you want and drag and drop, or copy paste and you're done. You will be promted for remote PC's creds (whatever you login to that PC with username and password).

To find the IP address, if you don't know, click "start", type "cmd" hit enter. Then type "ipconfig". You'll see "IPv4 Address" with something like 192.168.1.25 probably. That's the IP. You may have different interfaces with different IP addresses, like an ethernet, wireless lan, etc. Whatever is on the same LAN should work, wired (ethernet) will likely be superior in terms of speed.

Solution