[SOLVED] How to transfer internet signal from provider tower to aerial with ??? to house 200 metres away?

Oct 24, 2020
My house is below an escarpment in an area with bad internet on a good day. A new local tower was just installed but I still cannot get service because of escarpment. Looking at putting up equipment at top to relay down to the house. Is this possible, a good idea, and what equipment do I need?
With thx

Solution
Thx for theses responses. Unsurprisingly no simple or cost effective solution exists. There were trees in between top of escarpment and bottom.
If you don't have an easy line of sight, then you will probably have to use fiber. If only you had buried an extra conduit when you put in the power :(

kanewolf

Titan
My house is below an escarpment in an area with bad internet on a good day. A new local tower was just installed but I still cannot get service because of escarpment. Looking at putting up equipment at top to relay down to the house. Is this possible, a good idea, and what equipment do I need?
With thx
Are you planning to put the ISP receiver at the top? Is there power? Is that your land?

Oct 24, 2020
thx - great questions. Yes it is my land. There is a public hydro pole that I run my wire from, down to my pole and then underground to house. Was thinking ISP receiver at top and then relaying down approx 150 metres

kanewolf

Titan
thx - great questions. Yes it is my land. There is a public hydro pole that I run my wire from, down to my pole and then underground to house. Was thinking ISP receiver at top and then relaying down approx 150 metres
OK. If you have power, then you can probably do what you want. First thing you need to do is contact the ISP. They may have specific hardware to use in a situation like this. Your hill top location will be in the temperature extremes of your area, so your ISP equipment needs to be "outdoor" rated. A simple 200m point-to-point link can be done with a pair of Ubiquiti nanostation loco units. They will easily support 100 - 200Mbit service. They are outdoor rated devices. You would put one on the outside of the house facing up the hill and one at the top of the hill facing the house.

I think your first test is to see if you can get good signal at the remote location from your house. In best case you could take a cell phone and see how well it works but if you have to put up a tower or other special equipment to just receive the signal then you are taking a big risk that you go to a lot of trouble and it still doesn't work.

Once you verify you have good signal you then have 2 issues. You must first solve the problem of how to you get something that needs power but also can get wet. There are a number of solutions but it depends a lot on what equipment you can get. After that you second problem is sending it from the remote location to your house. You can use point to point wifi if you have clear line of sight. If the distance is 150 meters it gets messy to try to use a wired solution. Fiber can go that far but it takes some careful installation. Ethernet you are out of range but people do crazy stuff like put a switch that can be powered via PoE 1/2 way. It works but you then have another box you have to worry about heat and water.