[SOLVED] How to transfer my bookmarks to flash drive?

zbs60

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
HI All

Im about to build a new computer. However, Im not sure how to transfer my bookmarks to a flash drive that i can use later to add to the new machine. I currently fave a 100 different bookmarks. How would i copy those to the flash drive? Would they actually open after the transfer?

thanks

zack

Solution
Software and hardware are completely separate issues.

You simply need to plan ahead and do any exporting on your existing system, for whatever you may need to do it for, before you begin harvesting parts from it.

I still think it makes much more sense to set up a Chrome account and log in to Chrome, and let it sync all this stuff to the cloud. It's not like Google doesn't have this information already, it's whether it's easily accessible to you across machines or not. If you set up a Chrome account and then log in to Chrome where you use it things sync across the locales where you are using it. If you add a bookmark on your computer that bookmark then exists "automagically" on your smartphone and tablet or other computer Chrome...

USAFRet

Titan
HI All

Im about to build a new computer. However, Im not sure how to transfer my bookmarks to a flash drive that i can use later to add to the new machine. I currently fave a 100 different bookmarks. How would i copy those to the flash drive? Would they actually open after the transfer?

thanks

zack
Which browser?
Generally they have an Export function.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
If you're not using the sync feature of your browser then you can export then later import your bookmarks.

I haven't needed to do manual export/import since I use the sync function on all browsers that support it (but that leaves out Brave).

zbs60

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Hi thanks for the info.

Im going to be cannibalizing some parts of my old computer for the new one. Will i still be able to export the book marks from the chrome on the old computer to chrome of the new one?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Software and hardware are completely separate issues.

You simply need to plan ahead and do any exporting on your existing system, for whatever you may need to do it for, before you begin harvesting parts from it.

I still think it makes much more sense to set up a Chrome account and log in to Chrome, and let it sync all this stuff to the cloud. It's not like Google doesn't have this information already, it's whether it's easily accessible to you across machines or not. If you set up a Chrome account and then log in to Chrome where you use it things sync across the locales where you are using it. If you add a bookmark on your computer that bookmark then exists "automagically" on your smartphone and tablet or other computer Chrome instances provided you log in to those, too.

Solution

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Not exactly, but essentially, yes.

You must log in to Chrome and set up your Google Account to be recognized as the sync account for Chrome.

At the upper right corner of the Chrome screen, right next to the triple dot Chrome menu key, is the Chrome user login. I can't recall exactly what shows there, I believe it's a circle with a very stylized drawing of a human head as a circle and shoulders as a half circle within it, when no one is logged in. I do know that if you've assigned yourself a Google Account avatar that's what will show up there once you log in to Chrome.