[SOLVED] How to transfer old pc files to new one? (Same computer, but new windows and clean install)

Feb 20, 2019
So few days ago my pc totally crashed, and removed a tons of files (windows boot, few games, pictures, drivers and other system stuff) etc, and now i cant use it anymore.

So i am considering reinstalling windows and starting the pc as a new (wipe away old information), but can i transfer games (and the in-game progress, csgo rank, minecraft worlds, star citizen money etc) to the new factory clean pc? And how do i do it when i cant acces the computer (its dead)

Aka: how do i transfer in game progress from old dead pc, to the same pc but after it has had a clean new windows install and all memory wiped away?

(And the games are stored in my C drive, aka m.2

Solution
Or if you can get an external hdd, you could try to get info off drive without removing it. depends how broken windows is now

Do you have a win 10 installer?
If not: On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

you might be able to access files doing this:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

once you have everything you need off drive, follow this to install win 10 again:
follow this guide...
By fresh installing Windows on the boot drive, any data you have on it would be lost. You'd need something else in which to copy the data to, and it sounds like you'll need access to another PC and another hard drive to do this. Unless you don't fresh install and attempt a repair.

Depending what games client you use there might be cloud saves of your games.

Is the C drive the same as the boot drive? If not, most clients should allow you to manually choose the file path of where your games are stored. Save data might be there, but I find those are usually in the default Documents folder in Windows.

Feb 20, 2019
By fresh installing Windows on the boot drive, any data you have on it would be lost. You'd need something else in which to copy the data to, and it sounds like you'll need access to another PC and another hard drive to do this. Unless you don't fresh install and attempt a repair.

Is the C drive the same as the boot drive? If not, most clients should allow you to manually choose the file path of where your games are stored. Save data might be there, but I find those are usually in the default Documents folder in Windows.

Yes, the C drive also contains the boot stuff.

So i gotta take the m.2 take it to another pc, cooy the files (including in game progress) and later set it back to my new windows i stall?

Thanx for help

Feb 20, 2019

And the things i need from old pc are , (csgo rank, minecraft worlds, bfV rank and progress) thats all

Colif

Win 11 Master
Or if you can get an external hdd, you could try to get info off drive without removing it. depends how broken windows is now

If not: On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt

once you have everything you need off drive, follow this to install win 10 again:
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution
Feb 20, 2019

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Thanks alot!
Have had a few stressful days due to this incident...

When I've had this kind of problem, I just boot up Linux Mint from a flash drive. It has a user interface similar to Windows, so you don't have to know much about Linux. Mine boots up in under a minute from a USB flash drive, and then I can copy whatever I need to another drive. Bear in mind that you will need to reinstall applications using the install media.