How to transfer ONLY windows 8 to other HDD

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
Hi,

I've gotten 2 hdd's in my pc, but the one that currently has windows installed on it is extremely slow. That why I want to transfer my windows 8 to my other HDD, but I seem to only find solutions on the internet with people transferring their entire HDD data and files onto the other HDD. The thing is, my HDD with windows on it has about 600 GB used, and my other HDD only is 250 GB. So I'd like to know if there is a way to only transfer windows to my 250 GB HDD.

Thanks!

Solution

Well, that sounds like a drive issue rather than software.
So yes, move things off that drive.

This might be a good time to consider going to an SSD, rather than just another HDD.

USAFRet

Titan
a way to only transfer windows to my 250 GB HDD

That does not exist in any reliable format, hence why you find only people transferring the whole thing.

Now...we can investigate a bit, and see what you have on this drive.
600GB used space on your current drive is almost certainly full of JUNK that does not need to be transferred over.

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015

Well at least more than half the 600GB are games. Maybe I could delete all my games until I've gotten 250 gigs, then transfer my HDD to my other one, and then download the games again on my 1 TB hdd (The one with 600GB on it)? Or isn't that a smart thing to do?

USAFRet

Titan

For a successful clone into a 250GB SSD, you need to get the total used space to below 200GB.

I recommend just moving your whole SteamApps folder off to a different drive.
Also, Doc/Music/Video/Downloads.

Once you have that C drive to below 200GB, then we can talk about cloning that to the 250GB drive.

However...what is the actual issue with the current drive? Hardware or software?
If a software issue, a clone operation just moves that problem to the new drive.

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
The problem is that I benchmarked it and it got an average transferrate of about 3mb/s and my other drive was about 20 times faster. My pc has been very slow since a couple of months so I guess that would solve it.

USAFRet

Titan

Well, that sounds like a drive issue rather than software.
So yes, move things off that drive.

This might be a good time to consider going to an SSD, rather than just another HDD.

Solution