TerraCorbix12345

Prominent
Oct 27, 2021
I'm going to get an ADATA SU800 512GB SSD to put in my PC. I want to transfer my OS on to it, but the only methods I've seen online involve copying over all of the files on a hard drive and moving them over to an SSD, which I can't do because I've used more than 512GB on my hard drive.

Is there a way I can get only Windows 10 on my SSD without transferring other files over?

Way of doing this is to make backup (two external copies count as backup if you're removing from ssd to free space) and then can clone the OS.

Otherwise just install OS over again, then transfer the files from old storage device (program settings/games/user accounts/paid software etc. are in general more difficult to transfer between OS installations)

The only way is to move files (videos/movies/ etc) to a different drive and or uninstall programs/games (steam games can be moved to a different drive) until you get the size down to below the actual size of the new ssd under windows, because it's not 512Gb

USAFRet

Titan
I'm going to get an ADATA SU800 512GB SSD to put in my PC. I want to transfer my OS on to it, but the only methods I've seen online involve copying over all of the files on a hard drive and moving them over to an SSD, which I can't do because I've used more than 512GB on my hard drive.

Is there a way I can get only Windows 10 on my SSD without transferring other files over?
There is no application or function to move "only Windows" to a different drive.
All or nothing.

Option 1 - Reduce the amount of consumed space to below 400GB, and migrate it all.
Option 2 - Buy a larger drive.
Option 3 - Fresh OS install on the new drive, and all that entails.

If you have enough space consumed with data folders like video files, the samsung ssd migration app lets you exclude whatever folders you want from the move.
It needs a samsung ssd as a target.
App and instructions here:

I understand the samsung app to be a proprietary version of clonix which might have the same function.

If you have already used too much of a 500gb HDD, check your budget to see if you can't afford a 1tb ssd.
Life will be much easier.