[SOLVED] How to transfer Windows 10 from old to new PC

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
HI,

I have an old PC that runs Windows 10 at the moment. Originally it I was Windows 7 ( I bought retail Windows 7) when MS offered free upgrade I just did it.

I will build new PC very soon and all I want to do is to transfer Windows 10 to a new PC. Not sure how it works therefor I need advice.

Thanks

Solution
Setup a Microsoft Account and link your current PC to it , then backup whatever you want to save and perform a clean install on your new SSD and activate it with your Microsoft account from within windows. Skip the key entry during setup and activate it from within windows with the registered Microsoft Account.

Setup a Windows 10 Account ^

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Setup a Microsoft Account and link your current PC to it , then backup whatever you want to save and perform a clean install on your new SSD and activate it with your Microsoft account from within windows. Skip the key entry during setup and activate it from within windows with the registered Microsoft Account.

Reactions: tomachas
Solution

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014

Thanks for quick reply. Sorted !

Windows central forums are dead. A week of waiting and nothing ::ROFLMAO:

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014

It did work a charm! Thanks :)